Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov 2015 Lite Challenge: Waterway Legends

Guild Artisan

I'm a color person. Love the muted tones in the map. Mountains look great.

I agree with river needing to be more left to right.

Thanks, Kier. I'm going to work on the rivers tonight.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Chick Pea;

Maybe the lake out in front of the mountains, could be more horizontal as well and/or the front hills could expand more horizontal as well, I mean. add more a few more, not stretch

It is looking very good now, and that should make it even better.

I've done a bit of reworking, with a lot of drawing & redrawing rivers and land shapes. I ended up shrinking the land a little because I thought it looked better, then I had to redo the coasts a little because of that. It probably suits me better to have a bit more sea area, because I'm hoping to include a couple of things around there.

I'm going to draw a few more hills around some of the river bends to account for the course they take. I'm thinking to do some mountains/hills down the left hand side too, to account for the river that comes in from that direction. I was playing around the colouring a little, though I've still got more mountain shading to do. Might change it, since I only did it about five mins ago and there's every chance I'll hate it tomorrow, but it's getting late and I need to go to bed, so here it is for now!

### Latest WIP ###

waterways2.jpg

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That re-working looks pretty convincing now, except for the the lower left-hand river. Something about that looks odd to me, but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is - maybe the big bends that close to the shoreline?

I love the idea of this map; are you going to have little drawings of the creatures too? Pretty please?

Also, I had a golden retriever named Selkie when I was a little kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That re-working looks pretty convincing now, except for the the lower left-hand river. Something about that looks odd to me, but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is - maybe the big bends that close to the shoreline?

I love the idea of this map; are you going to have little drawings of the creatures too? Pretty please?

Also, I had a golden retriever named Selkie when I was a little kid.

I think what's wrong with the lower left river is that, a few bends aside, it more or less mirrors the right hand river. They're a bit too same-y. I wasn't completely thrilled when I did it, but the only other way to draw it was vertically, and that messed with the perspective. I'm not really happy with how it's turned out though, and want to redo that whole area of the map. I think if I draw some more hills & mountains around that area, and have the river weaving in and out of them, hopefully that'll detract from its vertical flow and not mess up the perspective. That's the plan, anyway.

I'm going to have little circular icons at various places on the map and will attempt to draw some of the creatures. I don't think I'm up to drawing a guy with a coat covered in shells (to name one example) but maybe just a shell itself will convey the idea. I want to get everything else in place before I start on this.

Yay for Selkie the Retriever! Good name.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I think the little drawings will be a great addition. I love the concept as well. Do you have any plans for the open space at the top of the map? Very nice work so far.

cheers
    Meshon

Couple small things on the type. The 1st column last one you have a widow - one word on last line, can you rerag to get rid of?

Also I'd make all the headings the same size, fit the hardest then the rest the same size - this is totally personal preference though. I also think the leading is too open, I don't mind a little space at the bottom of a paragraph, to let the eye rest some.

I agree with Diamond on the curve of the lower left river, maybe too curvy or too close to shoreline.

I like more water is looking much better in the perspective you were after. Nice job, I like the colors too.

Made a few tweaks since last time. I drew some more mountains, changed the bottom-left river and added some trees. Also changed the text in the sidebar (thanks for the tips, Snodsy. Very helpful!)

Can't put my finger on it, but I have a general feeling of dissatisfaction overall. Le sigh..... :/

waterways4.jpg
    Last edited by ChickPea; 11-07-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast