Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July 2016 Challenge: Teebrook Stronghold

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's really cool so far! You may already have something like this in mind, but what about softening the sharp black lines somewhat, so they don't contrast so much with the aged paper they're 'drawn' on?
    Thanks! I put a small noise around the line work to give it a kind of 'inked' feel. It's very subtle and I'm not sure if it is actually enough, but I felt that increasing it would not compliment the map either.

I also created a seamless texture (using this tutorial) and put it on the floorplan. Here's what the map looks like now:

teebrookstronghold3.jpg

As always, let me know what you think!

-Dan

That looks great so far! The texture for the walls I love but to me the pattern for the floor is a bit too bold. Maybe if you turned the opacity down a bit it would help?
    What is going to be on the right side of the image? A description? Or more of the stronghold?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    That looks great so far! The texture for the walls I love but to me the pattern for the floor is a bit too bold. Maybe if you turned the opacity down a bit it would help?
    That's exactly what I was going to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to say.
    Yeah, you guys are right. I did what you suggested and it really looks better, thanks!

What is going to be on the right side of the image? A description? Or more of the stronghold?
    I will put the labels on the right side of the map. I am not sure how many labels I will end up with, but I plan to keep some space empty so I can draw a side view of the stronghold.

### Latest WIP ###

teebrookstronghold4.jpg

Let me know what you think!

-Dan

Another update with labels done. Next up is the side view of the stronghold! (:

### Latest WIP ###

teebrookstronghold5.jpg

-Dan
    Last edited by DanielHasenbos; 07-10-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Very nice! I like how the text (the font is great by the way) looks inky on the parchment. You did the "Mysterious Locked Door" wonderfully as well.
    Can't wait to see the side view!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Very nice ! I really like your wall fillings and the tiny details on the floor. About these, is it intentional that the north-west tower second floor doesn't have none ? I'd slightly reduce the noise on the text but it's a matter of taste. That's a really good one.

Very nice! I like how the text (the font is great by the way) looks inky on the parchment. You did the "Mysterious Locked Door" wonderfully as well.
    Can't wait to see the side view!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Very nice ! I really like your wall fillings and the tiny details on the floor. About these, is it intentional that the north-west tower second floor doesn't have none ? I'd slightly reduce the noise on the text but it's a matter of taste. That's a really good one.
    Thanks guys! Yes the northwest tower doesn't have details because it doesn't have a floor. It's and open space from the main floor to the roof (:

I started working on a sideview, but thought it would be kind of dull since you would only get to see one side of the stronghold. I choose to go for a perspective view and gave sketchup a shot for the first time. The model is nothing glorious, but it will do. I will trace this model on the original map and make it a nice illustration.

Teebrook Stronghold.png

-Dan
    Last edited by DanielHasenbos; 07-11-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Hey Dan, it turned out wonderful so far, last time it was only as a sketch The layout of the whole castle is amazing. Have you oriented yourself on any real world castles? Every time i try to sketch a castle floorplan, i'm somewhat unhappy with it and you did such a great job. Looking forward to see the sideview illustration. Keep up the great work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

If that second floor above the chapel is open, you might think about putting a note right in there that says 'open to chapel' or something.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast