Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Relict project (general & local maps)

Blog Entries

interesting scalloping effect ( looks like a shell layering )
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thanks a lot Waldonrate! That works just perfectly!

I do have a new question, though . When I save the file as a png surface, it doesn't keep the new altitude/color code, but return to the basic one. Any idea for a save with the same settings? Not a big deal since I'm saving all the textures I want correctly, but curious.

So, the first tile, redone with the correct altitude set and with some changes in layers.
    R B5 fs.jpg

Try using the MDR format. It's the closest thing to Wilbur's native internal format and preserves the edges and exact numeric values of the data. Yes, I am aware that there are standard formats that can do that (I think that the HF2, HFZ, and TER formats in Wilbur might) , but the MDR format was something from long ago that was easy to load and save.

By Johnvanvliet
    interesting scalloping effect ( looks like a shell layering )
    Not really intended, but, yeah, the effect along the contour line has something similar I guess.
    I'm not sure about this layer... I like it, but it's a bit strong in some place. I'll see how it looks with the other elements and colors before I change it, though.

Thanks again Waldronate, I'll try that for the next one .

And, the two tiles redone with the correct altitude levels. I'm doing the south parts now!
    R B 5e6 fs.jpg

I'm not sure of the exact ordering of operations that you're doing here, but I notice a pronounced 8-way (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW) direction to your rivers. If you're starting with set of contours and just doing precipiton erosion, might I suggest starting out with noise (about 5% of the overall altitude), basin fill (values other than the default -1 such as 0.1 can give interesting results), and an incise flow (amount=2, exponent=0.25) prior to the precipiton erosion? That sequence will install a set of rivers that are more random than precipiton alone gives.

By Waldronate
    If you're starting with set of contours and just doing precipiton erosion
    Good guess, that's exactly what I'm doing . I'm gonna try this immediatly then. The region presently shown is supposed to be a desert, but I'm not completely satisfied with the rivers indeed. I hope it won't need as much time as the erosion process (with my computer, a tile of 3500x4528 is a bit more than 2 hours...).

Thanks a lot again, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be better.

The .mdr save works fine, I just have to setup the shading again, but that works well. Just a question, when you're speaking of the noise, it's in the erosion cycle box (I've found a noise - overall thing) or it's something separate like "percentage noise" set at 5%?

By 5%, I just mean to use 5% of the total height of the surface. For example, if your altitude max is 1000, then use 50. This is different than the percentage noise filter, which adds a specified percentage of the each individual altitude value to that point on the surface.

For the Wilbur shader, you should be able to use File>>Save with type "Lighting Definition File" to save the current shader settings. I haven't tried it for a long time, though, so I don't know if it still works correctly.

OK, so I gave it a try on the right tile and obtain this.
    R B6 fs scv2.jpg

It's kinda better for the coast/rivers and partly the look of the terrain itself, but it's also doing a lot of artifacts (lines or geometric figures, I erased a part). Thoughts?
    Also, I tried the Lighting Definition File, and it doesn't seem to work. But again, minor point since the MDR is working fine enough.

It looks like you don't have enough noise before the incise and precipiton. The severe artifacts are caused by the little precipitons running straight down one of the 8 cardinal directions without being pushed to the side by noise.

Starting with this (range 0 to 700 in 100 element steps):
    0.png

applying basin fill (-1) plus precipiton erosion (10 passes)
    fill_plus_10.png

applying absolute magnitude noise (35), basin fill plus precipiton erosion (10 passes)
    noise_fill_plus_10.png

applying absolute magnitude noise (35), basin fill, incise flow (amount=2, exponent=0.2) plus precipiton erosion (10 passes)
    noise_fill_incise_plus_10.png

The views with and without incise flow aren't too much different because of how many passes of precipiton erosion I used. Three or four would probably be enough to get good results after the incise flow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast