Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February 2018 Challenge: The Kingdom of Bird's rebirth

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Indeed - i've just solved the problem. All I had to do was click on move the active layer, and ta-da, it works. Thanks again Mouse!
    One of the first things I do with a new installation of Gimp is set this to Move the Active layer. It drives me insane otherwise. You can save it to preferences, so that it's always set this way. Make sure you've got Move the Active Layer selected, then open the Edit Menu and go down to Preferences. Click on 'Tool Options' on the left hand menu, then click 'Save Tool Options Now'. That'll fix it for the future. (Note, this will save all tool options that are currently set, so if you've been playing about with any of the tools and tried some unusual settings, you might want to close and re-open Gimp, so that it's only the Move tool that you're changing.)
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    One of the first things I do with a new installation of Gimp is set this to Move the Active layer. It drives me insane otherwise. You can save it to preferences, so that it's always set this way. Make sure you've got Move the Active Layer selected, then open the Edit Menu and go down to Preferences. Click on 'Tool Options' on the left hand menu, then click 'Save Tool Options Now'. That'll fix it for the future. (Note, this will save all tool options that are currently set, so if you've been playing about with any of the tools and tried some unusual settings, you might want to close and re-open Gimp, so that it's only the Move tool that you're changing.)
    Thanks Chickpea - did it
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Soon be done, I'm pretty pleased with it for a quick map.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Would you guys prefer the darker version or the lighter one? Also, should I keep those little farmland lines, or are they too bright for the rest of the map?
    I've been staring at this map for too long to be able to know what's best....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey MMM. It looks really good so far. Since i tend to make my own maps way too dark, i'd vote for the lighter version. What exactly do you mean by farmland lines?
    Keep up the good work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks for the answer Abu Lafia! By 'farmland lines' I mean those bright dark green lines you can find scattered around the mainland, particularly near cities and rivers. I feel they're a bit out of place on the map...

I'm a bit struggling with the text... How do I add a background glow??
    Thanks in advance (I hate asking questions )
    EDIT: Text glow solved ( for now )
    Last edited by MapMappingMapped; 02-26-2018 at 10:23 AM.

Ah, I'm still struggling. My labels look really... pretty. Does anyone have any tips?

Is 'pretty' a bad thing?

Would you show us?

'Pretty' is a terrible thing xD.
    I would have liked to show you, but I must have messed something up, because all my text filters and whatsit are gone. And the few remaining labels are part of the image.
    I'll have to start again.

LOL!

In answer to your earlier question about adding a glow (I think I answered someone else on this same point not long ago but can't find it)...

Either use Filters/Light and Shadow/Drop Shadow, and set the shadow colour to the colour of the glow you want, and the displacement to 0 in x and y directions. Or... duplicate the labels, invert the colours of the one below and blur it a few pixels.

There are lots of ways, really, but those are the two I use most of the time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast