Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jan/Feb 2015 Lite Challenge: Whitefall Island

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Don't withdraw, throw on a label and a dotted line with an X at the end and call it a pirate map.
    Yeah! what he said!!

Alright, maybe I can cobble together something simple. Thanks for the support.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Well, it certainly isn't finished, but I've added a bit more information.
    ----------------------------------------
    I've also developed a lot of the mythology for the island, which is a lot of fun:
    HISTORY OF WHITEFALL ISLAND
    In the stories of its native inhabitants, Whitefall Island was created when the Sea and Sky fought one another. In the old tradition, Sea and Sky were brothers and friends, but Sea became jealous of Sky’s white daughters, that he saw drifting above. In the fighting, Sea created Whitefall Island, and gave life to the mountains, so they could spew fire and smoke in Sky’s face. Thus, Sky was defeated.

In time, the mountains of Whitefall Island became arrogant and greedy, and they fought among themselves. Their fighting caused fire and rocks to be hurled across the island, causing enormous injury and suffering to the creatures and forest spirits of Whitefall. In desperation, the creatures of the island decided to send messengers to the gods, to request help. First, a message was sent to Sea, but he would not listen. Next, a messenger went to Sky, but he would not help them. Finally, seeing their plight, Sky’s daughters shed tears out of pity, and those tears became the first Chiefs and priests, from whom all of the tribes are descended.

The Chiefs went to the mountains, to calm them, and a bargain was struck: forevermore, the People would honour and serve the mountains, and in exchange the mountains would cool their anger, and protect the creatures of the island. And so it has always been, and when the great mountains growl and shake, everybody knows it is because they are not being shown the respect they deserve.
    THE MOUNTAINS OF WHITEFALL ISLAND
    Eng’kao Ton, the silent mountain
    The second tallest mountain of Whitefall, The largest and most powerful of the mountains is Rote Aouk’ai. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Gua’hap, the laughing mountain
    Gua’hap is famous for her mad and explosive laughter. During the war between the mountains, she liked nothing more than to send her messengers to each of the mountains, and tell lies and truths, so they would fight each other with greater fury. When the war was over she was exiled from the others. She continues to sit in the sea, cackling to herself, and dropping rocks into the surrounding waves.

Kap Muaki’hap, the queen of caves

Kiô, the angry mountain

Le’kuape, the most beautiful
    Le’kuape is the sister of Kiô, and by far the most beautiful of all the mountains. Her beauty makes her admired by some, and envied by others, but she never seems interested in the attentions of her neighbours. She wears skirts woven from water and mist. Sailors, coming to Whitefall Island from the west, saw these waterfalls pouring into the sea, and struck by Le’kuape’s beauty, they named the whole island after them.

Mô Thé, the bird mountain

Rote Aouk’ai, the king of mountains
    The largest and most powerful of the mountains is Rote Aouk’ai. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Incidentally, if you want to know what the treasure is: it isn't gold, or jewels. It is nothing but fine shipping charts and maps of the nearby seas; to any experienced mariner, this is a treasure beyond compare (and something that would probably go down well 'round the CG).
    Some clues (unfinished)
    Pass ‘twixt the man with furious soul, and the lady who never speaks;
    The king lies ahead, so show respect – bow low and kiss his green cloak’s hem;
    There is a place, ‘neath jungle boughs, where the People once gave honour;
    It is now disused, its altars fallen, but rocky teeth remain;
    It is within that cave, in a shallow grave, that true gold can be found;
    The king’s own purse, kept safe from you, hidden ‘neath dust and key.
    THW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful map! I love the mythology that you wrote about it!

Nice! And interesting mythology
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

A truly wonderful map! It doesn't scream 'pirate' to me, though . Still, one of the prettiest hand drawn maps I've seen here! Is the text hand-written, and if it is, do you mind if I ask what font you used?

Thanks iZoë. There are three fonts on this map: the one you probably mean (the cursive script) is called Homemade Apple, and I found it on 1001FreeFonts.com. Personally, I'm not sure I like it much (I preferred one on 1001FreeFonts called A Glitch In Time, but it was a little hard to read). In case you meant one of the others, the other two are Monotype Corsiva (for the italic text beneath the mountain names), and the other is 1543HumaneJenson (I don't know where it is from, but it is a real favourite of mine).

THW

Well, it isn't finished, and it barely deserves the name of pirate map, but this is probably as complete as it will get before the deadline.

THW

### Winner ###
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChickPea; 09-16-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12