Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mar/Apr 2015 Lite Challenge: Wydenfurth

Buildings look good and it's really starting to take shape.

I bought a graphics tablet a while back, and it lay for ages and I barely used it until last Christmas, when I started map-making in earnest. Boy, I'm so glad I bought it now, and I don't envy you having to use the mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    ...I bought a graphics tablet a while back, and it lay for ages and I barely used it until last Christmas, when I started map-making in earnest. Boy, I'm so glad I bought it now, and I don't envy you having to use the mouse.

Guess I have to dig up that clay pot under the rose-bush in my back yard with the change from the last years, saddle Rocinante and head to town despite all the brigands to get the best tablet for my buck!

Hi MstrWelf. I know the hardship of doing all the stuff only by mouse. I think you did a great job so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by MstrWelf View Post
    Guess I have to dig up that clay pot under the rose-bush in my back yard with the change from the last years, saddle Rocinante and head to town despite all the brigands to get the best tablet for my buck!
    In need of better equipment i already tried to figure out how to use the samsung-galaxy tablet from my friend as a drawing-tablet, but it wasn't worth the effort. Good luck with those greedy moneybags at town! XD

Looking good with the houses added. Are you going to add a bridge or ferry or just leave it as a shallow ford? All three choices are good, but a shallow ford is probably the most realistic for this small a village. We always seem to think of deeper rivers and bridges, but a lot of very large rivers are only 1 or 2 feet deep in many places.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Looking good with the houses added. Are you going to add a bridge or ferry or just leave it as a shallow ford? All three choices are good, but a shallow ford is probably the most realistic for this small a village. We always seem to think of deeper rivers and bridges, but a lot of very large rivers are only 1 or 2 feet deep in many places.
    The whole map started with a little village growing around a ford somewhere in Germany in the middle ages. Also as I said in the first post "Wydenfurth" translates as Willow-ford. Bridges are expensive and easily destroyed or at least damaged during the spring flooding. Up- and downstream for several miles this small river is rushing through a narrow gorge and is impassable there. So that's the story and here is the

### Latest WIP ###
    Wydenfurth_4_8.jpg

Guild Member Facebook Connected Belgath's Avatar

I like how you did your gardens and grass textures.

So far the toughest part was writing the legend. I'm afraid you will notice that English is not my first language but I did my best. A bit of polishing up over the weekend and my project should be ready to be handed in.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Wydenfurth_4_9.jpg

Hey MstrWelf, it looks very good so far. You did a great job on the text. I only think the font is a bit hard to read, especially in yellow on green.
    I'm curious: Are you german yourself? Because if not, you did a really great job putting in those german phrases and names. I ask because even in published scientific texts in english i often see people messing up german quotes (grammar-wise)

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Hey MstrWelf, it looks very good so far. You did a great job on the text. I only think the font is a bit hard to read, especially in yellow on green.
    I'm curious: Are you German yourself? Because if not, you did a really great job putting in those German phrases and names. I ask because even in published scientific texts in English i often see people messing up German quotes (grammar-wise)
    Thanks Abu Lafia. I will change to font color, maybe find even a better font and try to make it better legible! I am Austrian which is a distinct difference (or so they say ) and I that's why I should have no problems with German names and phrases. Still I like botched up German names in maps better than somehow invented names which are overly artistic and don't match even when they are in the same fictitious country. Google for old Slavonic texts or medieval Nordic and you have a treasure trove of words where you only need to change 1 letter and it will sound awesome and still genuine. I mean, nobody can be a professor of Anglo-Saxon and literature and work out a complete language ...
    Alright, that was my daily rant and I better get back improving my drawing skills.

Great map! The font is pretty, but kind of hard to read.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast