Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Map - Looking for Advice.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, it's really awesome to get some feedback on this thing!

I went ahead and tried something different for the coast lines, I wasn't really feeling them myself either. I've been trying to stay true to the source of inspiration but I keep moving further and further away. It doesn't matter all that much, because I am learning a lot about how to do this as I fumble along.

I did another pass today and covered most of the map, filling up the empty areas and adding details here and there. I would like to have another go and add tiny details all over the place but I might have to move on and make a frame/look some at coloring if I ever want to finish this thing.

Map_02_05.jpg

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

To me, that looks MUCH more natural/better. Of course different people have different tastes, and if you're really feeling those little coastal line thingies, you shouldn't let us stop you.

This is looking quite fantastic, though. For some reason I really love that southern part; must be the mountains.

I do agree, it turned out a lot better without. I think the whole thing would have had to be done the same way as the reference for it not to look off but that's really not a problem. As I said, I did learn a lot of things doing this so nothings wasted.

And thanks again for the encouragement!

I spent the day trying to "color" this thing, and man was that a learning experience! At first I was going to make it in the same spirit as the referenced map, but the more I tried the worse it looked, so I figured why not try a more typical tonal approach. I feel it's on the right way but any tips and ideas are as always very welcome.

Map_02_10.jpg

Tried making a few icons, a sea serpent and a random border decoration thingy. I might be getting ready to move on unless you guys spot something godawful I didn't think about.

Thanks for looking!

Map_02_11.jpg

Your map is coming along very nicely. I think you did a great job coloring the map. Well done and keep going.

This is looking really good! I love the colouring. Um, why is there a rather ominous skull towards the top right??
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Wow! This looks amazing! When I went back and looked that this is your second mapping attempt my jaw dropped. You have some serious talent.

I like the style, and the border and everything! I think it looks fine without colouring like the reference map. And are you doing this all with mouse?

Hope to see many more maps from you.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Wow, thanks for the encouragement, really good to hear that you like it!

The skull might be a bit too obvious as it is now, but I wanted something to indicate danger.

I am doing this with my trusty old Wacom Intous 3 Wide. Been with me for about 8 years or so now.

I only mentioned it in my introduction thread here on the forum but I work with graphics in computer games, so I have been drawing/painting/sculpting/modeling a lot for quite a few years, I just never tried making any maps before.

So if this looks like some magical improvement, it's just me getting up to speed on this particular process. So no talent here, only lots of practice on similar things!

I might work some more on this at a later time, but now I will probably just digest what I learned from doing it and then jump straight into a new one.
    Thanks again for the nice comments, really does mean a lot!

Great job, love the breaks in the forest and the shape of them, nice job! rep worthy

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Great job, love the breaks in the forest and the shape of them, nice job! rep worthy
    Thanks a lot!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast