Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nations of Far East Lands (personal project)

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    This is such a beautiful map! I love it.
    It makes me want to do a map in this style.
    I'll probably take inspiration from this in the future.
    Great work Voolf.
    Thanks Josiah. Actually it would be fun to see JO and you making maps based on this one. We would start a chain map challange. Max's map started it, i made my based on his, then you on mine, someone elase on yours... haha wonder how first and last map would differ in the end.

That sounds like a pictorial version of what we in the UK call 'Chinese Whispers' (Though why Chinese, I really can't say).

The story goes it started back in the war, when a message was sent via a string of radio operators half way back across a rather large continent to base: "Send reinforcements, were going to advance", but by the time it got to the other end of the chain it had become "Bring three and fourpence (that's old English money of the time), we're going to a dance!"

Haha, good one Mouse. We have a game in Poland. It is usually just for small kids, it is called "Deaf Phone". Kids line up in a circle and one whispers some short sentence to the kid on the right. That kid have to repeat the message to the next one on the right. It goes on and the last one says what he/she heared out loud. Because whispers are sometimes indistinct, the last sentence is totally different from original.

Yes, I thought you might like it. Its played by kids in this country too

Why don't you suggest the map version of Deaf Phone as a challenge idea?

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

A bit barren for my tastes, but you did a very nice job with the shading of those mountains.

Nice work on this Voolf. The illustrated see symbols are great. Good choice for the font too.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you Wired and arsheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Yes, I thought you might like it. Its played by kids in this country too
    Why don't you suggest the map version of Deaf Phone as a challenge idea?
    I dont think it will work as a regular or lite challange, as it requires finished map from one person, so the next one can start. It will probably take several months depending on number of people that will continue this challange.

Love it! I really dig the colors and the mountains in particular. I love the shape of the archipelago, and the coastlines look great. The illustrations and the rhumb lines really bring it together. I think my only nitpick would be the labels - they could use a touch more of a 'bleed in' effect, given the overall look of the map. All in all an amazing piece, one of my favorite ones from the recent months!

Some well-deserved rep headed right your way!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I love the style of this and the mountains are really well done. Have to agree with others about the text being a little clean, and I'm not keen on the white highlight around the land/islands. That actually niggles at me more than the crisp text. But minor nitpicks aside, I love what you've done here and would like to see something else in this style from you. Especially those mountains!!

Will rep if I can.

EDIT: Nope, sorry can't rep.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I love the style too ! Wish i have your talent *_*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast