Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cosmopolis Plateau

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Getting closer to the finish line with this one.

Cosmopolis Plateau Guild1.jpg

Wow! From not really half done to nearly finished in one move

Very nice on the tree and the settlement in particular

Wow this is neat. I can't tell really but something feels off about the perspectives of the different buildings, like it shifts from building to building, which to me makes it look sort of disjointed. Are you rendering them out through an isometric camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Wow! From not really half done to nearly finished in one move

Very nice on the tree and the settlement in particular
    Thank you. Those two parts were the ones who took the most work.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Wow this is neat. I can't tell really but something feels off about the perspectives of the different buildings, like it shifts from building to building, which to me makes it look sort of disjointed. Are you rendering them out through an isometric camera?
    The rendering is done in Photoshop CC, which is also to source of the problem. I'm not too well-versed in CC's 3D application so I'm finding it difficult to put everything into the correct (same) perspective simply because I don't know how and where to look.

If it were me I'd export all the obj files gather them up into one Blender file, import the 2d image a backdrop and set up the scene using one camera, either using an orthographic camera or even just a regular one. Then I'd hide the back drop set up a sun, and render it in cycles with RGBA so all the background is alpha, then take that image and paste it into the Photoshop one. That way they'd all have the same perspective.

If not doing that way it's probably more difficult because you basically have to get the same alignment angles for the camera for each individual object. Asswuming it was just kept orthographic in style and each building was rendered from the same angle, it be difficult to set that angle up without know what the angles are in relation to one another (and if it's not an orthographic camera keeping the same distance from all of the objects).

All in all not a very easy task. So I have to commend your works so far. I think all the coastal stuff seems to work together, the light house the harbour, and the city, but the two rear objects, that villa estate and fortress, have such different angles it is visually confusing.

Anyhow I love seeing this stuff, keep up the good work

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wired, you just keep pushing the envelope and I love it. The perspective does look a little wonky, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. But the idea of importing stuff like that into a traditional map and then actually making it look like it belongs there - great job.

That looks really good. I second what the others said about the perspective, but overall the map is very evocative. The white stone the city is build of makes it look like a shining beacon of civilization in this wild environment.

Will you add more detail to the western parts of the plateau?

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    If it were me I'd export all the obj files gather them up into one Blender file, import the 2d image a backdrop and set up the scene using one camera, either using an orthographic camera or even just a regular one. Then I'd hide the back drop set up a sun, and render it in cycles with RGBA so all the background is alpha, then take that image and paste it into the Photoshop one. That way they'd all have the same perspective.

If not doing that way it's probably more difficult because you basically have to get the same alignment angles for the camera for each individual object. Asswuming it was just kept orthographic in style and each building was rendered from the same angle, it be difficult to set that angle up without know what the angles are in relation to one another (and if it's not an orthographic camera keeping the same distance from all of the objects).

All in all not a very easy task. So I have to commend your works so far. I think all the coastal stuff seems to work together, the light house the harbour, and the city, but the two rear objects, that villa estate and fortress, have such different angles it is visually confusing.

Anyhow I love seeing this stuff, keep up the good work
    Well, that comes with the added difficulty level of having to learn Blender. I mean, I want to learn that one eventually anyway, but probably not yet, not immediately. I'll see if I can tweak the objects in the back a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wired, you just keep pushing the envelope and I love it. The perspective does look a little wonky, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. But the idea of importing stuff like that into a traditional map and then actually making it look like it belongs there - great job.
    Thank you! I just found it a lot easier for to build such structures in 3D first (and Tinkercad is really so completely easy to use) because I know that if I were to draw them all by hand the perspective would be even more off.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaggerAndBrush View Post
    That looks really good. I second what the others said about the perspective, but overall the map is very evocative. The white stone the city is build of makes it look like a shining beacon of civilization in this wild environment.
    Which was exactly what I hoped it would be.
    Will you add more detail to the western parts of the plateau?
    Probably not. I'll add a few large trees that break through the roof of the jungle, maybe have some flocks of bird fly around, but nothing special besides that. The problem with adding additional elements there is that the map is based on a largely linear gameplay idea, as far as I know, so adding additional locations is something of a longer back-and-forth process of deliberation between me and the developers (because each new location then also will have to be created in the game, which means more working hours, more costs, more time... you get the idea). If it was just up to me I'd add a few ruins poking through the roof of the jungle, maybe a lone rock pillar which a giant eagles' nest etc. ...

Blog Entries

Looks great.

In regards to the problem of perspective on the buildings, I would say you just need to lower the angle on the templey building with the red roof and its wall. It is quite close to that castle and that seems to have a much lower angle of view so side-by-side they look a little "off".

Edit: Or raise the angle of view on the castle if you want to keep them all a similar angle rather than getting lower with distance.
    Last edited by Ramah; 07-10-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Looks great.

In regards to the problem of perspective on the buildings, I would say you just need to lower the angle on the templey building with the red roof and its wall. It is quite close to that castle and that seems to have a much lower angle of view so side-by-side they look a little "off".

Edit: Or raise the angle of view on the castle if you want to keep them all a similar angle rather than getting lower with distance.
    Good idea, I'll probably change the temple then (done that often enough already, so what does it matter if I do it one more time? ).

I've also decided to add some sea life to the map as well: a wale, a swarm of dolphins, and maby a kraken.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast