Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harpy Island and Fort

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Looks good
    Thanks Robulous! I forgot - I also removed the inner glow around the coastline.

I removed the gauze texture and drew in some lines on the roof just to compare. sigh. not sure I like either so I'll keep at it. maybe i'm just over thinking it?

Roof without gauze texture
    Harpy Island v4.0a - Copy.png

Good work Ajrittler! I would correct the dropped shadows near the pier by suppressing the "blank space" between wall & shadow. Nice color palette.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Good work Ajrittler! I would correct the dropped shadows near the pier by suppressing the "blank space" between wall & shadow. Nice color palette.
    Thanks Ilanthar for the compliment! I'll have to do a little research on how to suppress the blank space. (Unless of course you have some advice ) Redrawing the docs is on my short list of things to do. Hopefully tonight!

Wip Update for today

Managed to get a bit more done tonight. First I went back to working the roof of the barracks since I haven't liked it from day 1. Changed color, opacity and added a board texture. I kind of like where it's at right now. I might add in some sketch lines. Then I turned my attention back to the docks. I took the above advise on removing the blank space. Then I messed with the posts a bit. While I like them I'm not sure they fit the look/feel of the rest of the map. Thoughts? Still have to draw in the dock boards. The last little Aesthetic thing I did was add a red thumbprint in the lower left. Like I said - this cartographer is sloppy (like me!)!!!

Current for today:
    image.jpg
    Last edited by ajrittler; 09-02-2016 at 10:01 PM.

To me the roof doesn't seem like a roof because it's under the walls, made even more pronounced by having that shadow fall on it, it looks like a floor.

Wip Update for September 4th!!!

First, I hate flattening my file. I like having layer upon layer upon layer. My PC, however does not! The file size is getting big and starting to turn my PC into a dog! So I make backup upon backup. Anyhow...

Totally agree with Falconius...the shadow on the roof had to go. I think it looks a bit better. I'm not sold on the pattern overlay. Next, I worked on the docks some more. I'm not using a pen so it's not great. I don't have a steady hand with a mouse! Niw I have conflicting styles between the roof and the dock. Not sure what to do here. Thoughts?

I then drew in the set of stairs to the left - just a wire frame for now. Last but it least I fixed the shadows on the trees and the lighthouse tower. They were totally wrong and needed to rotated 180 degrees.

Well, that's it for tonight. Please let me know what you think!

Latest:
    image.jpg
    Last edited by ajrittler; 09-04-2016 at 09:41 PM.

Wip

A bit done this weekend. I think it's getting close to be done.

This version has a black border. All text and borders have a "bleed effect" (for ink). Added a few barrels and crates to the dock. Added a second layer for the harbor chains (to darken them).

That's about it. Hope you like!

Current Version
    Harpy Island v5.0LowRes.png
    Last edited by ajrittler; 09-06-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Very often, the quantity of comments you get just depends on when you post and who happens to be online while that post is current.

The last version does look better, but the barracks roof should extend over the wall, not be flush with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Very often, the quantity of comments you get just depends on when you post and who happens to be online while that post is current.

The last version does look better, but the barracks roof should extend over the wall, not be flush with it.
    Oh, I totally realize that the number of comments/views is very dependent on when I post and who's online/when, etc. I'm just as guilty, I view many but don't post often.

For the roof - if you look at Fort Denison you'll see that the roof does not extend over the wall. I tried to be accurate, but my walls may be a bit big/over accentuated. Initially I had a drop shadow give the roof depth for the two side buildings like below.

Fort Denison_aerial-2-L.jpg

I'll throw in my 2cents, the Southern Seawall's shadow should be twice that of the southern/northern terrace's shadow, the sea wall is higher. the Tower even more.

Love the weapons, awesome, wish the whole thing had the same style. Fort walls maybe treat like docks, doesn't look realistically like a fort right now. Tree linework could use more detail like weapons. Add lines to boxes/crates? Are boxes/crates scaled right to weapons? chains maybe overscaled. Weapons may be a little large compared to Tower. Make Roof lighter to see shadow?

Finer beach detail or larger boulders. your shadowing on the beaches/terrace is nice.

Color palette beautiful!, nice clean look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast