Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Continent of Anasthias - 1930s gazetteer style

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

That's an excellent map.

This is getting better and better.

As this is still a draft: have you considered reducing the colour palette for the side maps a little, to make it more consistent with the main map? Especially the pinks seem to be a little out of place to me.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    That's an excellent map.
    Thanks Sapiento, from a guild luminary like yourself I take that as a huge compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    have you considered reducing the colour palette for the side maps a little, to make it more consistent with the main map? Especially the pinks seem to be a little out of place to me.
    Yes it's something I've been tinkering with. The book I'm inspired by has some pretty garish map colours so it's not out of keeping historically, but you're right a vivid magenta is a bit much! I wanted some slightly stronger colours for the side maps so they stand out but I'm struggling for a consistent colour balance. The whole thing still needs a lot more work though this is something I've been working on for years.

I love this style but I'm realising it's kinda out of keeping for the period, which is roughly early Victorian-equivalent. But since this is just a private project for my own amusement, I don't suppose it matters.
    Last edited by Robulous; 09-07-2016 at 08:23 AM.

wow Robulous! I really like the latest version! Keeps getting better.

Guild Expert

I love the smaller maps you’ve added, it really is looking good. I don’t know about CS6, but in CC you can change the ruler to measure pixels instead of inches, by clicking edit, preferences, then units and rulers. This should open a new window and near the top left it say’s units with a drop down, choose pixels, and then you’re ruler will measure pixels instead of inches, centimetres, and millimetres....I hope that helps.

Really nice job, colors nice.

Not sure the type on the yellow area is working, I think making it the same as the other countries would work.
    The large country name, maybe put them on a slight arc? Scale at bottom? lower heirarchy? Each map on the bottom center point touches the horizontal rule, it might be nicer to have some space around each?? The pink jumps out a little much?

Great job, just nit picking

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Really nice job, colors nice.

Not sure the type on the yellow area is working, I think making it the same as the other countries would work.
    The large country name, maybe put them on a slight arc? Scale at bottom? lower heirarchy? Each map on the bottom center point touches the horizontal rule, it might be nicer to have some space around each?? The pink jumps out a little much?

Great job, just nit picking
    Good points - it's tricky because Orror and Harthera are huge nations, while the other areas are regions made up of multiple states. That's why Munatan and the other regions are grey italics rather than the white for nations but perhaps it's not clear.

A text box at the bottom listing nations might make things clearer but that will take up more space. I'm yet to jiggle around the whitespace but I want it to fit an A3 page.

My maps were originally solely illustrations for the text on my (unready for publication) website, but it's good to make them artworks that stand by themselves.

The challenge continues...
    Last edited by Robulous; 09-07-2016 at 10:37 AM.

The Orror to Munatan heirarchy is not clear, but I'd try to figure it out on the map and not a listing natkey. I would probably drop the regional headings pretty far down, but keep an open lettering spacing and all caps

I'd eliminate the drop shadow really on all, doesn't do much but muddy it up.

Wip Draft 3

Ok here goes Draft 3. Tell me what I've done wrong this time

1. Sidemap changes: I toned down the colour schemes and added a semi-arid biome to climate which I'd forgotten.
    2. Also added a world mini-map to locate Anasthias in context
    3. Countries list: I added the list of nations at the bottom both more for description and to make it more clear. I also like the look.
    4. Whitespace: I've moved things around so hopefully there's a little more breathing space
    5. Roads/borders: the hi-res map has my roads white with a red outline but previously you couldn't see at this resolution. So I've made it more obvious, and dialled down the border intensity to make it more clear
    6. Trade routes: added sea routes around the coasts, to show the main shipping lanes and major ports
    7. Drop shadowing: removed all the drop shadowing, I had to increase the outer stroke on the white nation labels to make them more clear

Plus some general tinkering. This is really my most ambitious map yet, it's certainly slowing down my 6 month old computer! I really could fiddle around with minor details for ever - sometimes this is the advantage of a hard deadline, it makes you stick to decisions.

anasthias modern frame v3.png
    Last edited by Robulous; 09-08-2016 at 06:34 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Nice job ! It took me years ago, in those maps from encyclopedia (like the one you're talking from)... It's really a special design that you replicated perfectly !
    You bring back nice memories for me ! Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast