Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irritating prompt with Wacom tablet in GIMP - how do I get rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    You could buy a USB hub, as they aren't especially expensive. Quick Amazon search...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Hubs/b?...node=430443031
    Another simple but perfect idea!

Thanks ChickPea

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Poundland do USB hubs that work to an extent. It depends on the device and how much power it needs. I plug my tablet in using one but only as an extension.
    Thanks Straf

I'll have a look and see next time I'm down town

Yea... I used to plug in my tablet after opening GIMP, but it would NOT be detected as a full tablet/pen combination and be in a half tablet/half mouse hybrid mode(for example, no pressure sensitivity). After having that happen a dozen times of so, I learned my lesson:

Plugin tablet; open GIMP.

Of course, I use a laptop that also doubles as a work machine(ie, I take it to work every day), typically on my lap in bed, so that's a huge mitigating factor.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

LOL!

I've just discovered that it also makes a difference if you have your tablet plugged in or not when you switch on the machine - at least it does in Win 10. The setup bit that you do through the Control Panel when you plug it in for the first time overrides the GIMP settings, but it only counts if you have the tablet plugged in before you switch on the machine.

It must be something to do with the way the device is registered by both the OS and GIMP if its already 'there' when both those things are fired up.

Sometimes I think life was easier when you loaded device drivers using config.sys and autoexec.bat.

All I know is that the first thing I need to do in the morning is switch the machine on, and then plug the tablet in, or the settings I've created in GIMP won't work.

Switch it on before the kettle?

Oh no! That's blasphemy! The kettle ALWAYS comes first!!!! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    LOL!

I've just discovered that it also makes a difference if you have your tablet plugged in or not when you switch on the machine - at least it does in Win 10. The setup bit that you do through the Control Panel when you plug it in for the first time overrides the GIMP settings, but it only counts if you have the tablet plugged in before you switch on the machine.

It must be something to do with the way the device is registered by both the OS and GIMP if its already 'there' when both those things are fired up.

It's been known for a long time. GIMP is built with GTK 2.something and on windows, there are issues with that version of GTK on Windows not working correctly. The fix is to upgrade GIMP to utilize GTK 3.0+, but GIMP has not had a stable release in around 5 years or so. I seem to think that that next version of GIMP STILL won't have GTK 3.0, but that was something I recall reading 4 years or so ago, so the plan may have changed since then. The GIMP team basically said at the time "if you are using tablets on windows, things may not work, sorry" or something like that and it's been .

For the record, I have no real problem as long as I do things in the right order for the things I have tried.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I have to plug the tablet in before starting GIMP otherwise I can't draw or anything. The cursor moves and I think the buttons do things but it won't draw. I'm using Linux.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12