Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are my Tiles showing?

Guild Apprentice

Perhaps. I don't have that much knowledge on the matter either. Perhaps someone else does. In the mean time, all one can do is deal with it.

Thank you! Don't make my head swell too much, though.
    I've re-made most of it by now, and I'm gonna take your advice and save different versions more regularly.

### Latest WIP ###
    Pylara - Test.jpg

Guild Apprentice

Wip

I've had almost no time to work on this, but I've gotten two more city blocks -almost- done.

### Latest WIP ###
    Pylara - Latest.jpg

Its dreadful! Its so awful.... You did say I shouldn't swell your head too much

Sorry I missed your previous post. I'm glad you were able to recover everything. Its looking extremely good, but I know you don't want me to just keep saying that.

There's some kind of fence structure that slips under the city wall down at the bottom side there. Other than that you're doing just fine

This is looking awesome! The buildings are very well done.
    Looking forward to seeing it progress.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Apprentice

Ugh, time keeps turning up short for this project and once again I haven't made that much progress, but I guess I should at least post something once a month.

### Latest WIP ###
    Pylara - WIP.jpg

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Its dreadful! Its so awful.... You did say I shouldn't swell your head too much
    Ahh... that's the stuff. ;D

Sorry I missed your previous post. I'm glad you were able to recover everything. Its looking extremely good, but I know you don't want me to just keep saying that.
    Oh, sorry I missed yours too! I recovered most of it, yes. A small portion of the map is on a single layer, instead of broken up into several layers.
    I just didn't have the stamina at the time to redo everything, and now.. well, it is what it is. :C

There's some kind of fence structure that slips under the city wall down at the bottom side there. Other than that you're doing just fine
    Thanks for pointing that out. It certainly wasn't authorized. I have notified the building and zoning office about this obvious jerry-building and certified deconstruction has begun.

LOL! I see you have succeeded in having the offending boundary removed!

Mapping a city is the most time consuming thing to do. Its not just like plonking a mountain range down on a regional map in a sketchy hurry, then tidying it up till it looks kind of right. Things in a city need to be put down like they've been planned, or at the very least re-developed with things squashed into the shape of the redevelopment area. It is a very time consuming occupation. Doing a detailed city in a matter of hours is something that only a very few cartographers can do. Most of us need to take our time

Having said that, I don't think your progress is unreasonably slow. You draw with a high level of precision, and the detailing is incredibly fine - immaculate, even. Progress is progress, no matter how long it might take

Guild Apprentice

Mapping a city is the most time consuming thing to do. Its not just like plonking a mountain range down on a regional map in a sketchy hurry, then tidying it up till it looks kind of right. Things in a city need to be put down like they've been planned, or at the very least re-developed with things squashed into the shape of the redevelopment area. It is a very time consuming occupation. Doing a detailed city in a matter of hours is something that only a very few cartographers can do. Most of us need to take our time
    I've most certainly noticed that it is a very time consuming thing! A lot of doing, redoing and then re-redoing, while trying to make it look passable. :') Thankfully, vacation is coming up in a month. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it by then - or at the very least, by the end of it. ;P Until then, I will try and make due with small incremental updates to the map. This time, I've completed most of the "upper district" (except the gardens.. ugh.. I am not good with trees, but I'll tackle that when the time comes).

### Latest WIP ###
    Pylara - WIP.jpg

I'd say it was coming on really quite quickly, since you are drawing everything by hand and there's just so much detail

I'm really curious to know - what are those white dots lining the street in some places but not others? Are they bollards of some kind?

Guild Apprentice

I'd say it was coming on really quite quickly, since you are drawing everything by hand and there's just so much detail

I'm really curious to know - what are those white dots lining the street in some places but not others? Are they bollards of some kind?
    Oh, it's not all done by hand! I'm not a brain surgeon. The tiles are, though.

They're supposed to represent columns, but I'm not 100% sure about them - and even less so now. The city has a greek/roman theme, and they did love them their columns. I've been thinking about making them a bit smaller and/or square instead, which might be a better way to represent them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast