Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Bearskin Lake and The Property - Commission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I totally love the illustrative way you did for the trees and buildings. Thanks you for sharing.

Guild Novice

Wow wow wow. Amazing work. This is so cool! And it's a map of a real place? That's awesome. You're gonna have a happy customer on your hands!

How did you find engraving? I've never done it before, just lino printing and wood block printing. Maybe I should, though.

These are very lovely and I'm sure the person who received them was delighted. Have to admit that I'm woefully ignorant about how copper plate engraving -> final print works, but I do love the finished result!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I really like these Cuin. Very inspiring pieces.
    I'll have to post them tomorrow on the FB page.
    Great work and thanks for sharing those.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

How did you find engraving?
    I got interested in engraving after going to a museum exhibit on maps. The 15th, 16th century maps that we're all so fond of were all done by engravings/etchings on copper or steel. I thought to myself best way to get that look is probably to use the same techniques. So I took a class at UW-Madison on etching. I've done a few wood block / linoleum prints too, but not for maps. These are intaglio, basically inverse of a relief print you'd see from a wood block (ink sits in valleys rather than on hills).

Have to admit that I'm woefully ignorant about how copper plate engraving
    most people are. Kind of an arcane technique. I've had it in mind to put together a tutorial here on it, but haven't gotten around to it. Something to look forward to!

I really like these Cuin. Very inspiring pieces.
    I'll have to post them tomorrow on the FB page.
    Gosh... I'm flattered.
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------
    on instagram at cuin_the_cartographer

Oh, great. I wish we had a course on engraving at our university. This is so much more stylish than just simulating it with software. How costly is it? I wouldn't be surprised if you had read books on it, too? In any case: A tutorial, yes, please!

How costly is it?
    Depends. Copper is expensive. The 24x24 copper plate I purchased for this project was $300. Access to a press isn't the most easy thing in the world either. Here I accomplish the feat by taking a class (~$250). Engravings/etchings/drypoint can be done on other cheaper materials though, but I've only used copper so far.

Glad to see some interest in a tutorial. Makes it more likely to happen one of these days.
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------
    on instagram at cuin_the_cartographer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12