Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** November 2016 Challenge: Roll For Your Lives! ***

Guild Member Facebook Connected Bryan G. McWhirter's Avatar

Rats! I thought I caught my posting mistakes in time. I'll be more careful from here on out.

I really want to do this as I have an idea in mind for it. I'll see if I can squeeze out some time for it. It's been an age since I've been able to be involved in one of these.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Jump in Jax, we'd love to see what you enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Nope.

You start with one room, roll your die for # of exits, roll your die for each of those new rooms connected to the exits. That's the minimum. Anything you add on after that is up to you.

If you rolled the maximum all the way through, the most rooms you'd have would be 31, including the start point. And remember they can be as big or as small as you want.
    I think I'm reading this wrong? I'm using a random roller program and I seem to be going on forever - every time I hope it is gonna end I roll a 4 - I'm numerically non blessed - help!
    "No, the fat one says he can deal with his problem, then explodes....."

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Well, let's see: You start with your one room, right? Then roll your die. The number you roll is how many exits/new rooms from that starting room there are. You don't roll for traps in the first room, just 1-6 exits. (You CAN place a trap in the first room, you just don't have to roll for one.)

If you roll the max (6) to start with, your next stage would be 7 rooms - the first one, plus six more.

Then, for those 6 rooms, you have a possibility of 1-4 exits/new rooms for each. (If you roll a 5 or 6 you'd place a trap in that room instead of an exit.) So the minimum to map would be 7 rooms, the max would be 31.

You can add beyond that. If you roll for a trap and decide you want to add an exit from that room also, feel free. I'm just telling you the minimum that you'd need to plot out.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Tulio Botinha's Avatar

One question, would a program that generate maps according to the criteria be a valid entry for the challenge?
    this challenge really struck me as something that would be fun to program... like in a old style dos rpg.
    Last edited by Tulio Botinha; 11-14-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Sounds very fun! i hope finish on time jeje
    I need to find a dice jeje

Quote Originally Posted by Tulio Botinha View Post
    One question, would a program that generate maps according to the criteria be a valid entry for the challenge?
    this challenge really struck me as something that would be fun to program... like in a old style dos rpg.
    As long as it meets the criteria set out in the initial post, I don't see why not.

Question

Are you allowed to enter multiple times with different maps, or do you have to just enter with one map?

Quote Originally Posted by seedback View Post
    Are you allowed to enter multiple times with different maps, or do you have to just enter with one map?
    One entry per person. But if you're not happy with what you'd worked on so far, you could scrap it and start over; it's just that you can only have one at a time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast