Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Falmardor island

@chick, that's weird. I've had some issues now and then after a driver update but usually once I'm back I'm good to go. Having to reset each time would be annoying. which tablet do you have so I know which one to be aware of viz I have 2 wacoms and not this issue.

And BTW, this map is coming along well keep up the good work.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    @chick, that's weird. I've had some issues now and then after a driver update but usually once I'm back I'm good to go. Having to reset each time would be annoying. which tablet do you have so I know which one to be aware of viz I have 2 wacoms and not this issue.

And BTW, this map is coming along well keep up the good work.
    It's a CTH680, but I'm not convinced the support person was right. If he were, zillions more people would be complaining about it.

Blog Entries

change between two styles..and also after like 15+ minutes of drawing the cursor starts lagging behind my strokes.
    how many levels of "undo" is gimp set to keep ?
    and HOW big is the image

the second one is important

gimp keeps the undo's of the image in ram

if ram is full then the SWAP has to be used

if SWAP is on the same disk as gimp then the read/write speed is a issue

clearing the gimp image undo history AFTER a save will GREATLY speed things up
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

@Chick I have an Intuos CTL-480. And it isnt the tablets fault, it works perfectly for everything I use it with in any software or even just as a mouse It is purely it's incompatibility with GIMP. I spent way too much time on troubleshooting but this problem I have tends to happen with GIMP since it isnt very tablet friendly and actually it is known that it doesnt work well with GIMP.

@johnvanvliet The point about deleting the undo history aftersaving is a very good one, will try it out. Unfortunately that one is the smaller of my two problems and while annoying it is manageable. THe other one, where while sketching random brushes skip with each brushstroke, style and even color sometimes make it really hard to do anything in it..when I finish this map I will probably reinstall gimp since this problem wasnt so prominent when I just got the tablet. Will see...

And thanks for the kind words Jaxilon.

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

The new update is here. I didnt have as much time as I wanted to today but still managed to add the final sea layer which was set to multiply and has added a darker blue to most of the water surface. I also made a normal layer for the forest color and tried many different things and so far am liking my two shades off green blended into a gradient approach. I will probably still add some highlights and a shade under the edge to give it some lift. If you have some suggestions or comments about the forest in particular please let me know, every comment is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Barek

Falmardor_wip_4.jpeg

Nice. I especially like what you did with the mountains, they blend very well with the texture. About your forests : I would mix more the shades and lights, you've worked it like the mountains and it's not a comparable thing imo. Lights and shadow in a forest are more a render of the land features and of the trees height. I'm not sure about the inner outline either.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I think the secondary outline you've used on the forest would actually work on the coast, just to give it a bit of depth. You can find a coast tutorial on fantasticmaps.com, though I think you've discovered the technique yourself. I'm in agreement, really nice mountains!

Cheers
    Meshon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

To stay in the spirit of the mountains ( the color and shade is superb) I will add a shadow at the base of the right side of the edge and light on the tops of your trees in order to make it less flat. Nice job so far.

Looking good. I think the river is rather large in scale, and I agree about the forest light and shadow needs for variation. Also the forest next to the base of the mountains would be in shade. Nice job!

Ok, didnt have much time the last few days, but I agree with all of you guys that the forests needed some more shading alighting and that was my goal today. I think I managed to achieve it to some extent..maybe to colorful in regards to the rest of the map...You be the judge.

So the workflow: I added an overlay layer to give the coastline an inner shade of sorts so that it isn't just a plain black line. For the forests I turned the previous normal color layer into an multiply layer and lowered the opacity to 70%. Then I added an overlay layer and with a help of awesome krita brushes made the colors less monotone.

This is where I am at now, only doing a land layer with some detail probably tomorrow and then on to locations, labeling and legend+border..the things I am so far the least comfortable in doing

Here is the current state, enjoy, comment, criticize, suggest. So far I am really happy with your feedback

Falmardor_wip_5.jpeg

Cheers,
    Barek

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast