Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September Mapping Challenge: Create a Mapping Object or Texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Striogi View Post
    Sweet. I was just wondering Monday if there would be a challenge to take part in.

And I already have an idea (or twelve) for this.

What if we make several different elements? For example, what if I make a wall section, floor pattern, door object? or are you just wanting the same element?
    When I was designing the challenge I was thinking that we would allow "up to 6 versions of your item", meaning 1 item in 6 different colors or sizes, or 6 very similar items like 6 different tables. BUT, since this is a nonstandard challenge, I will amend the rule so that you can enter any 6 items you want.
    My best guess is, that you will get more votes for a set of somehow related items all done in the same style than you will for totally random objects. For example, all the parts to a bedroom set, vs a door, a floor, a shadow, a cat, a mountain and a border.

Anyway, we are being very open ended on this one, do what you would like to do and the voters will decide.

And for you Newbies, the Thumbnail Scraper, also known as the "Latest WIP Thingy" is a tag that you put on your post to be sure a thumbnail of your object or map is collected with all the others for quickly seeing everyone's maps and giving them a link to the original post.

Each time you use it, it will collect the next image posted. So you can use it multiple times to show your Work in Progress, just be sure to use it one last time on your final post.

It will only pick up one image, so if you post your 6 items individually it will only grab one of them. I would recommend posting your 6 items on one post, then create a mini map with all 6 items on one map and post it by itself with the WIP thingy above it.

Good Luck and have fun with this!!!!!!

This sounds good, however, my question is, can it be a set? As just a single object, unless like a super detailed house or something, is kind of small.

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    This sounds good, however, my question is, can it be a set? As just a single object, unless like a super detailed house or something, is kind of small.
    Sure, whatever you want to do. 6 similar, but different piles of treasure, a set of 6 swords, a set of magic wands, or 6 sixshooters being sold at the Durango General Store.
    If you have something you want to make, then go for it! We'd all love to see it.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Cool idea ! Though the 26th september deadline seems a bit short (usually the regular challenge start around 5/6th and end around 30th).

Are escutcheon accepted for this challenge?

And can I make more than 6 ?
    if not, I suppose I can include just the best but my idea was to create templates and not fully fledged escutcheons like -Max- did here http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ntasy-map.html

How about something like a mountain brush set?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Are escutcheon accepted for this challenge?
    And can I make more than 6 ?
    if not, I suppose I can include just the best but my idea was to create templates and not fully fledged escutcheons like -Max- did here http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ntasy-map.html
    They are a great idea, but you can only enter your 6 best in the challenge. If you are going to make a lot of them I suggest you also start a WIP thread in the Mapping Elements Forum for the rest of them.

@ Waldronate: a Mountain Brush Set is also a wonderful idea, the regional mappers will love it.

Banned User

This challenge has certainly drawn a lot of interest and some really nice work!

In my humble opinion, it might be worthwhile to add a third monthly challenge type (in addition to Monthly Mapping and Monthly Lite) such as Monthly Tools and Stuff. It could alternate between mapping elements and textures, or be more specific such as sci-fi one month and medieval the next, or even very specific occasionally, such as weapons or creatures.

I see a lot of people posting new stuff in the Mapping Elements threads, so this would give them a showcase and some fame and glory for all that work.

I think it would be a lot of fun, and would provide another "lesser" challenge for newbies, as well as provide some awesome new material.
    Last edited by Chick; 09-14-2014 at 11:40 AM.

I like chick's idea. There could be two ways to win - straight-up votes each month. But then also some sort of recognition when someone wins one of the other competitions, while incorporating your elements...

Do we have to upload each individual item as an attachment, or can they be bundled into a zip file, with just the minimap preview to show off each of the 6 pieces?

If a zip is okay, can we provide multiple sizes for each of our 6 items? For example: a large full-rez version, one at 200x200 scale, and one at 100x100 scale.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast