Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the Elyden Globe experiment

Yeah that's why I painted mine onto a real globe, no need to complicate things so much! I like the change you made, making a globe just feels so much rewarding than just endless 2d constructions of your world that don't end up feeling quite as alive as you need it to. Once you go down this rabbit hole, you won't be coming back! haha!

Seriously, I love this project, keep it up man!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilus View Post
    Yeah that's why I painted mine onto a real globe, no need to complicate things so much! I like the change you made, making a globe just feels so much rewarding than just endless 2d constructions of your world that don't end up feeling quite as alive as you need it to. Once you go down this rabbit hole, you won't be coming back! haha!

Seriously, I love this project, keep it up man!
    thanks, how did you do the graticules: did you trace the ones that were already on the globe or didn't you bother?

I don't have any graticules on my map, yet if I wanted to I would use a bright paint and a flexible cloth measuring tape and eyeball the arc straightness. But, being a purist and a sailor(sailors should actually be able to navigate by these lines!), I'd rather just scan in the globe using a high definition 3d color scanner and clean up the scan data. Then adding the graticules should be easier, I hope. I don't know much about this phase as I haven't started with the scan side of things yet. It's a slow labor of love!
    Last edited by Vigilus; 07-30-2016 at 08:55 AM.

that's cool, though if youre going to scan it, wouldn't have been easier to make it digitally in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    that's cool, though if youre going to scan it, wouldn't have been easier to make it digitally in the first place?
    Well if I just wanted just the map, sure. To have an impressive art piece on your desk(a daily inspiration and focus), that can be used as a visual for people in a boardroom, and to convey a solid example of my conviction are all reasons why I went with a real model first. Sure, it may take more work, but ask yourself, who actually has a physical world they hold in their hands? Not to mention, derivative works and the legal position of strength you create for yourself down the line by owning the original work are worth all the other efforts.

Yes, I agree 100% It's the main reason I'm doing it, to be able to see it ion the flesh.

Do you have any pics of yours I could see?

Don't feel sheepish, I put this up a while ago. Enjoy!

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ighlight=vaeya
    Last edited by Vigilus; 07-30-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Question

so I got the sphere, and all of a sudden I have lost all confidence in the project...

IMG_20160902_185810.jpg

It's not a perfect sphere and even if it were, I'd need to add a layer of plaster or papier mache to make it harder before adding the gores. Though I look at it now and think - how do I do that?! I actually got 2 globes (one is a backup) so I should probably just go ahead and try my luck on the first and get some experience.

My idea was to insert a copper rod (the globe has handy points that can ct as poles to that I can insert the rod perfectly. I'll then add a few layers of newspaper gores mixed with PVA and water with some plaster applied to it on top and then sanded smooth (fingers crossed!). I then intend on making a piece of foamcore or plastic sheet, cut out a semicircular shape that i can use to make the plaster layer as perfect as possible so that the application of the gores can go as smoothly as possible (fingers crossed!)

we'll see!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Hey ive done this before, I will post some pics, unfortunately I did not finish as it was EXTREMELY difficult. i bought two large sphere shells (polystyrene) and then added a layed of paper mache followed by 5 layers of plaster, and finaly sanded the whole thing down (50 cm wide). I still have the sphere but calculating the final circumference and getting the gores right takes lots of trial and error.

I think you'll have a difficult time getting a perfect sphere without some sort of lathe, even just a simple set up. Why not instead actually buy a globe of the earth and then paint it matte white and then paste onto that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast