Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helevos - modern-style world map

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ajrittler View Post
    Robulous - I think you've done a great job on all of these maps. Clearly a lot of thought and attention to detail on your part. Impressive!
    Thanks, obsessive detail I think you'd call it!

Having nothing better (*cough* nothing more interesting) to do on a Friday afternoon I had a stab at colouring it similarly to my Anasthias map. A lot more work than I thought. It loses some of the fine detail but makes things more clear and consistent, and is more in keeping with the other style of my maps. I've also updated the text to hopefully explain more context about the world.

Which version do you prefer?

helevos atlas style v5.png
    Last edited by Robulous; 09-16-2016 at 12:05 PM.

Personally, I prefer the topographical one a little more for getting a sense of the world's geography. Though also having political boundaries is useful, and now I realize that political units were marked on the topographical one.

The text is improved, though. Thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Thanks, obsessive detail I think you'd call it!
    lol, and that's ok! I wish I had the attention span for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Which version do you prefer?
    That's a loaded question, because they're both great. I think I prefer this new version. What a great job you're doing.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

This is looking splendid, Robulous. I noticed you didn't name the 4th fixed star though! Apart from that, I love both versions almost equally, though I'm slightly more in love with the topographical one. Why throw away all the work you did on that one? It looks stunning!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    This is looking splendid, Robulous. I noticed you didn't name the 4th fixed star though! Apart from that, I love both versions almost equally, though I'm slightly more in love with the topographical one. Why throw away all the work you did on that one? It looks stunning!
    Thanks and well spotted! The fourth star is on the opposite side to the Civilised World so it's never seen by sailors, hence it doesn't have a common name. The "fixed stars" are actually ancient objects in orbit, dense clouds of self-replicating utility fog.

I do like the topographic map is good but it shows too much detail for an unexplored part of the world, which is a bit awkward, it looks too much like a modern satellite map. As a descriptive map it's fine, but as an in-world map even the accurate outline is barely credible! I'll probably keep both maps but yes I need to decide which one to bump up to "Finished".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12