Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome to Rjornhald: Fjords in the north, Calderas in the south

Guild Expert

It's looking good so far, I like you're coast, the jagged lines around the edge, and the ripples in the water are my favorited part, and the mountains are nice too. My one nitpick is the top part of the southern most forest matches too closely to the ground colour, but other then that I really like it. The ocean colour looks good to me, but I would work on the terrain colour a bit more, maybe muddy it up a bit, or somehow change the hue slightly so it doesn't so closely match the green in the forests.
    Last edited by kacey; 09-06-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Two things.

First, I really like the color palette you used ! Only nit pick would be that in some areas, the forest color doesn't seem too different from the plains, but it's only in some areas and the shading sells the thing when you're not zoomed in.

Second, on your coasts, you gotta be careful with the sea coloring. I guess you used a mask on the sea layer by selecting the sea (logical) and you bumped into the same thing I always bump into : when you draw a jagged coastline with steep (very closed) bays, you do not select those bays and the sea color doesn't show. The (not so elaborate) technic I personally use is, I draw in black on the mask to let appear the parts where color did not appear earlier (if I'm not clear enough, I can show you). It's a simple fix and it would suppress a tiny flaw in your jewel

Not sure if this would work but I typically have about 4 layers for my backgrounds, one being a gradient with multiple colors and fades. Also a layer or two are textures (parchment typically one of these, then other random patchy one.

Also a shadow under the forest?

your coastline is pretty regular, maybe some cliffs?

Love the sea, the coast lines, the mountains, maybe just a line or two inner forests? beautiful job

Guild Apprentice

Wow, it's been a while. But for once I actually came back to the map!
    Thanks for the comments everyone, you guys have very useful advice. Many of your suggestions are about polishing up some of the lazy details in the map, which is appropriate because that's exactly what I'm trying to do right now.

I've roughly finished pretty much everything, although there's lots of detail and polish I can and should do. In particular I'm spotting patches of color bleeding through some parts (like the glacier) that's going to drive me crazy until they're fixed. However this will probably have to do for an initial draft since my first session for the D&D campaign is this weekend.

DND Shi Map 6.jpg

Hopefully I'll have a final draft sometime soon! I've really enjoyed this map, although I got pretty lazy with it in places, particularly with regards to color. But whatever, having fun and practicing is what its all about for me!

Nothing to say about the colors that you haven't already said. I like the general impression of the map, really good job on this. One question though. If north is up, the north western island is at the same latitude than the snowy parts. Is there a reason why it's not the same climate ?

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Hello !
    I like your lineart very much ! And your choice of colors too !

The whole aspect is coming really great !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12