Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about Patreon

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    For what it's worth, I've never gone to Patreon looking for an artist to support, but I have sometimes gone there to see if an artist I already like is on it. I have never really perceived any competition for my patronage.
    I find it hard to find fantasy map makers' individual sites, so Patreon is great for that IMO. Well, that and this forum, obviously.

I'm back with questions...

I spended some time to build my patreon page* and I just enter the details of "payment"... which seems to be a bit complex. As I understand it, it's necessary for a non-US citizen (like me) to fullfill a form with a lot of things and have a US citizen signature? This last part seems quite odd to me . Plus, I'm wondering about taxes linked to the incomes. Somebody (non US and on Patreon) could maybe explain it to me?

I'm seriously reconsidering to do a Patreon page... I just hope I haven't wasted my time...

*Doing things like this little dude...
    Levantine test.jpg
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 01-21-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Derek Von Zarovich's Avatar

Hello ilanthar, I'm having problems with the cartographers guild interface for messages. I'm not even sure if these messages are being sent.

I didn't do much about patreon, except filling out a form that's required for outsiders, it's about taxes. If you want, I can send you screenshots of this, but, can we chat through a more friendly interface. If you want, send me a message on facebook, my name is "Derek Von zarovich" or on twitter, it's "Elven Tower GM".

And we can talk further about this,.
    I'm the owner of www.elventower.com, I spend my time writing DM tips and guides for my website and drawing all kinds of maps to share them online.

I also crowdsource my work here www.patreon.com/elventower

Quote Originally Posted by Dyson Logos View Post
    My revenue breakdown in the last five years:

Patreon - 73%
    PDF Sales (OBS) - 10%
    Print Sales (Lulu) - 15%
    Commissions - 2%
    Thanks for the revenue breakdown Dyson Logos, It's great to see and hear that it's working for cartographers. Like Midgardsormr I've never browsed Patreon for artists, only looked to see if the artists I follow are there and how much they are generating.

I guess it's like Kickstarter and any other revenue platform, you have to drive the audience yourself.

My biggest worry with sites like Patreon is the loss of control over the platform. Granted there is inherited credibility from using such a site, but there is also a lot of control and trust you're putting in their hands.
    Read the Authors Guide To Drawing Maps. | Visit the Worldbuilding School | or My personal site is Vancano.com

OK, now my Patreon is launched (de même qu'un Tipeee pour les francophones) !

Thanks for your answers and help, everyone!

In regard to DTRPG it should also be pointed out that there is a lot of competition there as well. I have a handful of hand-drawn village maps for sale there. I chose to start with a villages line of maps because most of the other maps on sale on DTRPG were encounter maps and I thought this might be an opportunity to offer a different useful product that would distinguish my work from the rest of the crowd. Well after nearly two years I can tell you that sales have been rather less than desirable. This may be because this variety of map is less in demand than I had initially thought. It might be that despite the competition there is just more demand for VT and print out encounter maps. Dunno. But bottom line, I would set your expectations for profit-margin low if looking to sell maps on DTRPG.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Well, thanks for the giving your experience about it, Arsheesh! I'm not sure I'll put something on DTRPG anyway.

Re DTRPG:

You have basically have 2 strategies: Price your items at what they're worth and sell a very small volume, or you can price your items well below what their worth with an expectation to sell a higher volume. As an example I was the developer of Mongoose's, Arcania of Legend and that sold reasonably well (100+), it wasn't a bad a little earner. My independent releases have not done anywhere near as well. I feel for Daniel who did the cartography (because, I didn't feel mine was up to scratch), neither of us has made anything out of that for the effort that was put in.

If you intend to sell on DTRPG pick one of the above strategies and then promote the hell out of yourself and product in an attempt to drive sales.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    OK, now my Patreon is launched (de même qu'un Tipeee pour les francophones) !

Thanks for your answers and help, everyone!
    Hey Ilanthar, i am curious how's your Patreon going ?
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

By Voolf
    Hey Ilanthar, i am curious how's your Patreon going ?
    Well, it never took off and I think I'm gonna close it and just keep the Tipeee... I'm not the best to advertize myself, I must add. And, the fact I need to translate my stuff is also an additionnal brake.
    I'm quite having trouble to manage my normal work & life + comissions + regular work on may Patreon/Tipeee. I'll be able to do more this summer, fortunately.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast