Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2019 Challenge: Angusta la Radieuse

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    It is a promising start Thomas. So nice of John to discuss with you the commission
    One questions. How do you do those nice borders? Its very similar to what John used in Kanoba. I always wanted to make something liem that, but i never have a good idea for the pattern, and have difficulties maing it so nice and clean.
    I would like alsoto know ... those frames are beautifull , I am a disaster with frames , I always take lot of time if I paint .

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Oh, so much mappy goodness on the horizon! The border ornaments are awesome and i really like the general shape of the estuary. Looking forward to see this coming together.
    Hehe, thanks Martin Wait before giving me praise, I still have to beat my city block...

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Nice start, I'm looking forward to seeing this progress!
    Thanks Josiah ! Good to have you back BTW !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Now we are talking : first city map! So glad to see you in this particular challenge ! I’m sure you’ll pull out another wonder !
    Merci Joël, I just hope I'll be up to your expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Great start Thom! Looking forward to seeing the next stages.

Wingshaw
    Thanks George !

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I'm glad to see this getting started.
    I know you're busy, so do what you can as you can.
    It's gonna be good. I like the way it's going so far.
    This will nbe good to fill out your region and grow your personal map collection.
    I think, once the border and parchment are done, I'll start with the ancient city on the island. I've already gathered some google earth view of buildings in antique cities in France (how lucky we are ). And you are right, it'll be a good addition to my portfolio but first, it's a map for you so, it has to be awesome !

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    I absolutely agree with the others about the border and ornaments, two things I am absolutely terrible at. Good luck with the map, the move, and the renovation.
    Thanks for the praise and especially the comforting words GW !

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    This looks very promising, I love the texture and border elements so far... I’ll be watching this one for sure, great start.
    Thanks kacey, they took quite some time and I4m glad to hear they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Ok, yet another awesome one right out of the gate. That is a unique and beautiful way to frame a city map! If I ever work up the courage to finish one, that's the way I'll frame mine.
    Thanks D. Wait for the compass

It is a promising start Thomas. So nice of John to discuss with you the commission
    One questions. How do you do those nice borders? Its very similar to what John used in Kanoba. I always wanted to make something liem that, but i never have a good idea for the pattern, and have difficulties maing it so nice and clean.
    Thanks Rafal To answer your question, the secret is time. I had a whole day of meetings last Thursday and used that time to play with some designs (pencil work). Then, I drew several iterations of it, tweaking it until I liked it, added some details according to John's design (to get a sense of unity) and then copied and pasted the whole stuff. When I created a new layer and saw the number 637, I exported all layers into a new .psd file, saved it and saved it again as .png and replaced the multilayered monster with the .png and my CPU thanks me for it.

Here's a full size view of it :
    Frise1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    I would like alsoto know ... those frames are beautifull , I am a disaster with frames , I always take lot of time if I paint .
    Thanks Naima, see above.

I guess there will be view to no evolution next week but I'll try to further it in the evenings.

The frame is gorgeous! And I love the layout. Man, you're gonna do a wonder with this one .

So this is done from the scratch. Awesome work Thomas, the border is indeed gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the full-res pic.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Awesome start, Thomas ! I can't wait to see the next steps there !

Oh, this is going to be great. Can't wait to see you do a fantasy city, and this already looks like a promising start! Following this one with interest!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

The feel of this is so lovely! Thank you for posting about your borders, too. I really need to work on those and it's very helpful to hear about your workflow.

E-gads! This is pretty stunning so far, very crisp, me likey!

More more, I want more!

Love your plans and the start but when do we get a peak at what's developing. The curious have demands!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    The frame is gorgeous! And I love the layout. Man, you're gonna do a wonder with this one .
    Merci Julien I have plans to modify the frame with more flourish and the layout will allow for some lore and background (and it'll allow me to write again, it's been quite some time) but the wonders has suffered some delay. It'll be finished nonetheless but not before the deadline of the challenge.

So this is done from the scratch. Awesome work Thomas, the border is indeed gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the full-res pic.
    Not exactly from scratch as I had the privilege to make it with a likeness to the one John designed. Let's say I had a pretty good guide and you're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Awesome start, Thomas ! I can't wait to see the next steps there !
    Merci Beee I hope I can make an update before the deadline but it'll definitely continue as a WIP thread elsewhere. I want to see Angusta too !

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Oh, this is going to be great. Can't wait to see you do a fantasy city, and this already looks like a promising start! Following this one with interest!
    Thanks Daniël, I hope you're right

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    The feel of this is so lovely! Thank you for posting about your borders, too. I really need to work on those and it's very helpful to hear about your workflow.
    Thanks aeshnidae If I had one advice about border it would be to doodle a lot and try and organize what you like in your doodles to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    E-gads! This is pretty stunning so far, very crisp, me likey!
    Thanks Adfor

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    More more, I want more!

Love your plans and the start but when do we get a peak at what's developing. The curious have demands!
    Thanks a lot Jax ! As I said above, it will clearly be unfinished when the voting start. I knew doing it in time would be tough as I was moving houses (I'm still building monstrous bookcases as I'm writing) but clients have been besieging me lately plus day job enters a demanding time (class councils are coming). Add some deadlines moved forward to send books to print and you have a recipe for a challenge killer. I wanted to do some more this week-end but unfortunately my little tigress has gotten ill with chicken pox. She's a fighter and is doing well but I really cannot squeeze anything else in my schedule right now. She'll be better in a few days and I guess I'll be able to post another update before the voting start but this one will have to continue it's life outside of the challenge. John did such a wonderful job on my commission, I have to deliver a city map that's worthy of his art and that's quite the task but also a motivation

Cheers !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast