Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar '18 Lite Challenge: Broax Island

Guild Expert

The water looks really neat, but to me the terrain looks like fabric, would be a good technique for characters clothing or silk curtains how did you get that effect?

Yeah I'm trying a different approach now I think.
    WrinklesLandform.png
    This was based off of my interpretation of J. Edward's guild country mountain technique. What I did was draw in the ridge lines on a layer above, then I had a layer with light grey (really a quarter tone grey, it was like 190 R, G, and B) and I would shade on one side of the ridges with a grey midtone (129 RGB) and use erase on the other for "highlights". The idea then was to use this as a multiply layer and then I was going to do another layer sort of the opposite of this to do the actual highlights.

SO I thought I was not going to keep going with those mountains but I continued anyways, this is my sample:
    Possible mountaitns.png
    I'm kind of liking them, so I might just bite the bullet and continue on with them like this. I can feel some sort of illness coming on, so it might hamper my ability to do this or it might help me just zen out and spend a few uninterrupted hours at it, we shall see. For some reason I just can't get into an iso groove with this map. I think maybe because the island has that elongated look on this orientation where as if it was 90 degree rotated it would suit iso pretty well I think. Which makes me glad I didn't rotate it, because it forces me to tackle problems I otherwise would not think about.

Guild Expert

The mountains are really coming along, I like where you’re going with them I just can’t wait to see them on the map as a whole, looks good so far.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Love it, the painted sea is gorgeous, agree with kacey for the mountains, they are lookking great now.

Ooh, I like where this is going. Yes, more of this please.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Unfortunately I got ill and It knocked a couple days off of progress on this but I was able to get some done today. Unfortunately this method is extraordinarily time intensive. As you can see I only got the southern peninsula done and a bit further up. And as I've improved I'd really like to go back and fix what I worked on first, but I simply don't have the time.
    ToposhadeProg1_2.jpg

Indeed. But the results speak for themselves.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert

That bottom section looks so good, I really hope you get time to finish.

Hope you feel better.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast