Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oct/Nov 2016 Lite Challenge: Hel and the Halls of the Dead

This is fantastic. Really like what you're doing here. Hope you manage to finish.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Thank you! I'll try.

Hopefully still before the end of the deadline I present to you Helheim & the Halls of the Dead. Here Hel reins, the daughter of the trickster god Loki and the giantess Angrboda, half alive and half dead, sitting on a bone throne adorned by images of her siblings, Fenris the Wolf and Jörmungandr, the World Snake. Helheim is a bleak, dark realm, cold and desolate and quiet, a place reserved for those whose death in battle has not taken and who have withered away from sickness and old age /the so-called "straw dead" because they died in the straw of their beds). This gloomy realm is the opposite of the cheery Valhalla where heroes drink and chant at Odin's table, but it is still a more favorable place than the icy wastes of Nilfheim, where the dishonored dead roam.

On its border, Garm the Guardian Hound stands swatch, to greet each newcomer with his loud bark. he is both part and not part of Nalgrind, the barrier that marks the boundaries between Helheim and the other eight worlds. On the day that Ragnarök comes the leashes binding him will vanish and he will be free to attack Asgard. Before the dead can pass into Helheim over the gold-paved stones of Gjallarbrú that spans over the foaming depths of the River Gjöll, they have to pass the queries and watchful eyes of Modgudr, the giant maiden.

As with all realms, Yggdrasil is the root that binds them together as the seed and plant of creation, so even dark and desolate Helheim is criss-crossed by one of its giant roots.

### Latest WIP ###
    Hel - Halls of the Dead.jpg

I based my interpretation of Hel loosely on this map of the nine worlds.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

As cool as that blue lighting looks, I think this last version is a little too dark that it masks too much of your lovely linework, Wired.
    Last edited by Greg; 11-14-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Is this better?

Here Hel reins, the daughter of the trickster god Loki and the giantess Angrboda, half alive and half dead, sitting on a bone throne adorned by images of her siblings, Fenris the Wolf and Jörmungandr, the World Snake. Helheim is a bleak, dark realm, cold and desolate and quiet, a place reserved for those whose death in battle has not taken and who have withered away from sickness and old age /the so-called "straw dead" because they died in the straw of their beds). This gloomy realm is the opposite of the cheery Valhalla where heroes drink and chant at Odin's table, but it is still a more favorable place than the icy wastes of Nilfheim, where the dishonored dead roam.

On its border, Garm the Guardian Hound stands swatch, to greet each newcomer with his loud bark. he is both part and not part of Nalgrind, the barrier that marks the boundaries between Helheim and the other eight worlds. On the day that Ragnarök comes the leashes binding him will vanish and he will be free to attack Asgard. Before the dead can pass into Helheim over the gold-paved stones of Gjallarbrú that spans over the foaming depths of the River Gjöll, they have to pass the queries and watchful eyes of Modgudr, the giant maiden.

As with all realms, Yggdrasil is the root that binds them together as the seed and plant of creation, so even dark and desolate Helheim is criss-crossed by one of its giant roots.

### Latest WIP ###
    Hel - Halls of the Dead2.jpg

Guild Expert

I think you need to lighten this a little more, at least to the point where you're beautiful line work is noticeable. You did such an amazing job on the line work I'd hate to see this go unnoticed when it comes time to vote just because the best part is hiding in the shadows.

I am inclined to agree with Kacey. It would be a such a shame to lose the line work that way.

But that is only my personal opinion

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Yeah, I still think it's too dark, but I definitely understand your problem. It's just finding that balance between the vibe you want and not concealing all your hard (and great) work.

Wow, this is awesome! I like the darkness, but agree with the others that its a bit hard to see the awesome linework.

Also, I believe you mean for it to be spelled Realm of the Dark elves.

Not sure if this still counts, but it's my try to work in some of your criticisms. Not more I can do now.

Here Hel reins, the daughter of the trickster god Loki and the giantess Angrboda, half alive and half dead, sitting on a bone throne adorned by images of her siblings, Fenris the Wolf and Jörmungandr, the World Snake. Helheim is a bleak, dark realm, cold and desolate and quiet, a place reserved for those whose death in battle has not taken and who have withered away from sickness and old age /the so-called "straw dead" because they died in the straw of their beds). This gloomy realm is the opposite of the cheery Valhalla where heroes drink and chant at Odin's table, but it is still a more favorable place than the icy wastes of Nilfheim, where the dishonored dead roam.

### Latest WIP ###
    Hel - Halls of the Dead2.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast