Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2020 Challenge: Theano ( first map I ever made )

This is lovely. Will you be adding some landmarks as well? Your last monthly challenge map was my second favourite (Island of Portals) because it had some unusual and interesting details.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wow !!!! That's real map-improvement !
    I love the burning title !
    And your color choice too !

That tree must feel lonely! Great start. I think some more light, from the core to the inside of the pointy flames would make it even better (love the idea, btw).

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    This is lovely. Will you be adding some landmarks as well? Your last monthly challenge map was my second favourite (Island of Portals) because it had some unusual and interesting details.
    Aww thank you! That is high praise considering the other maps that were showcased in that challenge! I will be adding lots more details I'm going to stay fairly true to what the original map was, I'm adding a few things that I wasn't able to draw at the time I made the first version but I'm not sure if they are going to be more creative than the Island of Portals.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Wow !!!! That's real map-improvement !
    I love the burning title !
    And your color choice too !
    Thank you JO! It's pretty amazing what 10 years can do. Thank you for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    That tree must feel lonely! Great start. I think some more light, from the core to the inside of the pointy flames would make it even better (love the idea, btw).
    I will be adding some backstory to this map that will describe why it is so lonely. I think some more glow to the flame will work well, thanks fore your input!

I think of all the "then and now" maps I've seen so far in this challenge yours shows the most amount of improvement. Your drawing skills have clearly developed considerably in the past ten years. I'm really looking forward to comparing the finished piece with the first and second iterations.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    I think of all the "then and now" maps I've seen so far in this challenge yours shows the most amount of improvement. Your drawing skills have clearly developed considerably in the past ten years. I'm really looking forward to comparing the finished piece with the first and second iterations.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you! My drawing skills have definitely improved a lot over the past ten years, I was also quite young when I made the original version.

I've been chipping away at working on this when I have time, I've added text, icons, borders, and more color and texture. I feel like the map still feels kinda empty so I am thinking about making all of the places a full illustration like the major elements in this map. It might depend on the time that I have. I would also like to get some more color variation in the land so if anyone has any tips for that I would love to hear them! I still have some color work to do on the icons do give them more depth and color variation.

### Latest WIP ###
    Theano.5.png

Nice labels ! The cities looks gorgeous !
    In my opinion, I think you're right about giving some "relief" or details in some empty parts ("horror vacui" as Mistybee calls it ?) Maybe some details or symbols ? Or some relief with shadows ? Or some nuance of green ? But the map looks beautiful anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Nice labels ! The cities looks gorgeous !
    In my opinion, I think you're right about giving some "relief" or details in some empty parts ("horror vacui" as Mistybee calls it ?) Maybe some details or symbols ? Or some relief with shadows ? Or some nuance of green ? But the map looks beautiful anyway !
    Thank you so much JO! I really wish I had more time to do more detailed icons but alas my time is being pulled by a few different projects right now.

I did add some hills and I think they help add some more texture to the land area. I am not quite finished but I might not get the work in before time is up so I wanted to make sure I put my latest WIP up now!

### Latest WIP ###
    Theano5psd.png

I like the use of the watercolor bleeds on the coast.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

What a job on this desert! Unbelievable! The result is magnificent. The labels are also splendid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast