Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Map of Allanor

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Ah! I didn't even realize there was a brush dynamic like that! And yeah, I'm on the GIMP with a small intuos. Definitely a different feel, I just tried it. So thanks a lot for the tip.

When you talk about pencil settings are you talking about the Wacom or the 'pencil' in gimp? I am interested about your settings, definitely.

P.S. Just looked at your coastal lineart. Suuuuuper smooth. Me likes! Keep up the good work
    Thanks for the compliment Xcali

I am talking about the settings in GIMP, I haven't touched the tablet's settings, The settings in GIMP are a pain in the behind as is.

Update for today:
    Spent alot of time working on textures for the grass parts (my base layer for now, will be placing some more for the different areas) of the map and the ocean.
    It's worth mentioning that I had no idea where to start so looked how other cartographers did theirs. So a big thank you to Sapiento and Maxime for displaying their maps on Deviant, they where a big help while trying to figure out what textures to combine.
    I also did three examples of the rivers and settled on this one which I really like alot.

### Latest WIP ###

Allanor WIP 4.jpg

Been a while since I enjoyed mapping this much
    It's alot more fun when I have a few weeks to work on it

Added the basics for the forests and mountains.

### Latest WIP ###

Allanor WIP 5.jpg

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

Love the style of the rivers. They are great.
    Having the light come from the right is different. In most maps the lightsource is placed to the top left.

Quote Originally Posted by EricPoehlsen View Post
    Love the style of the rivers. They are great.
    Having the light come from the right is different. In most maps the lightsource is placed to the top left.
    Exactly why I placed the lightsource on the rightside, I've seen a few maps with the lightsource on the right side and it somehow changes the whole atmosphere of the map. I wanted to try it
    And thanks for the compliment Eric

Another small update.
    I removed the forests for the time being, they didn't quite fit the rest of the map right now.
    Also changed the colour of the grassland while texturing the mountains to give everthing a 'softer' and less cartoony feel.

### Latest WIP ###

Allanor WIP 6.jpg

Just a 'small' update this time.
    So glad I've got those mountains done, just that other repetative chore to go (trees!) but I added a few terain features and textures before diving into those

### Latest WIP ###

Allanor WIP 7.jpg

Took me a few days, but I've finished the new forests. I still prefer building them up with single trees
    Also started working on the border (a bit in the style I used for my Map of Thra)
    I'm currently working on the Bog in the Northwestern part and I've got a few ideas for the 'desert' area in the south.

Ohw, how could I forget! I decided to add a volcano aswell...every Fantasy Map should have one!

### Latest WIP ###

Allanor WIP 8.jpg

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Fun way to do forests Also, your volcano is nice.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Coming together nicely, your mountains are awesome!

IR

Coming along nicely, it looks really cool. I like the muted palette, and I really like special elements on maps breaking repetition. So I think the Vulcano and the ridge are great additions to make the whole map stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Fun way to do forests Also, your volcano is nice.
    Thank you Xcali
    (and forests are never nice to do...so repetative )

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Coming together nicely, your mountains are awesome!

IR
    Thanks alot Adfor!

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    Coming along nicely, it looks really cool. I like the muted palette, and I really like special elements on maps breaking repetition. So I think the Vulcano and the ridge are great additions to make the whole map stand out.

Thanks so much Herwin, means alot coming from you

Another update:
    Added the city/town/dwelling icons and roads. I also placed some temporary labels for them but those will change (not the names though!)

### Latest WIP ###

Allanor WIP 9.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast