Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Straits of Qalîmbar

I *really* like the design here. I love the idea that the landscape is (or appears to be) a cutaway section as if it's in a huge vivarium. It somehow makes it seem more solid.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Great start and a wonderful concept indeed!
    Thanks abu!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Ooh, this should be interesting! Loving the linework already.
    Happy to hear that, Kell! I hope I can keep that up!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oooh, this one will be super interesting to see ! Can't wait for the next steps !

(Just... what about some groundwater somewhere ?)
    Well, there's right here at the bottom of the post! What did you mean about that groundwater?

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Great start, it's gonna be a good one !
    I do hope you're right Rafal!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Not willingly, you are following your Tavernier's run. He does those kind of maps for his settings but I suspect you're better than him for regional maps And I love what I see !
    Woah, that's high praise! And yes, I checked his work and you're right! He did do mapping work like this!

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanCR View Post
    I *really* like the design here. I love the idea that the landscape is (or appears to be) a cutaway section as if it's in a huge vivarium. It somehow makes it seem more solid.
    It does, right? Hadn't even thought about that vivarium idea, but I really like it. Maybe I should draw glass walls on 4 sides huh? And a kid peeking over the top!

---------------------------------------------------------------

And here's a first update!!
    Straits of Qalimbar (2).jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Well, there's right here at the bottom of the post! What did you mean about that groundwater?
    Uh... is that the wong word ? Groundwater, water table, groundwater table, underground water...? Aquifer, maybe ? "Nappe phréatique" in French, if it helps, or if someone can translate better ^^'

And... splendid new addition ! I'm totally addicted to those 'sliced' mountains ^^

Uh... is that the wong word ? Groundwater, water table, groundwater table, underground water...? Aquifer, maybe ? "Nappe phréatique" in French, if it helps, or if someone can translate better ^^'

And... splendid new addition ! I'm totally addicted to those 'sliced' mountains ^^
    Oh yeah, the water table! no worries, I'm no native English speaker either, et en fait je comprends l'expression "nappe phréatique" ! Well, I did draw a tiny line showing the water table, and it influences the water level in the caves too, so that's something. Or did you mean something else?

Also, here's another update!
    Straits of Qalimbar (4b).jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

May I say that those are the best mountains you have drawn ? The shading is above your average which is already pretty high end quality ! There's a "BD franco-belge" vibe coming out of this piece, I dunno if it's the colors but it strikes me right in the heart

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Oh yeah, the water table! no worries, I'm no native English speaker either, et en fait je comprends l'expression "nappe phréatique" ! Well, I did draw a tiny line showing the water table, and it influences the water level in the caves too, so that's something. Or did you mean something else?
    Hehe, I'm glad you understood ^^'
    I can see the line now, but for start I was more talking about some undeground cavity filled with water since I thought it could be a fun detail (and maybe a house for Bobby ), but you added one anyway : everything is perfect, and your shading amazing ^^

I've been silently watching from a dark corner... This is more and more stunning & brilliant.
    Like a diagram from a geological book turned into a wonderful fantasy map.

I'll have to second Thom on the mountains. You've really stepped up your game, and as he said, the bar was pretty high before. The coastlines look a little flat right now (though it might be caused by the current lack of shading on the water more than anything else) right now, maybe you could add some cliffs to some points in order to give the whole coast a more 3-dimensional feeling? Not sure if cliffs would be the right way to go about it, it's just a suggestion. I just feel it needs... something to make it look more like the ground continues beneath the water too. But maybe it's jut the current flat color on the ocean that makes it appear so, I have a feeling you might already be on this, so I might be just making an ass of myself here

Anyhoo, beautiful colors so far! Look forward to seeing what you do next.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 01-30-2019 at 06:03 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    May I say that those are the best mountains you have drawn ? The shading is above your average which is already pretty high end quality ! There's a "BD franco-belge" vibe coming out of this piece, I dunno if it's the colors but it strikes me right in the heart
    Um yes you may, absolutely! Thanks a bunch for all those kind words Thomas, especially the BD franco-belge one. I've always been a fan of comics "from home" (I'm a Belgian), so that one really... strikes home

Hehe, I'm glad you understood ^^'
    I can see the line now, but for start I was more talking about some undeground cavity filled with water since I thought it could be a fun detail (and maybe a house for Bobby ), but you added one anyway : everything is perfect, and your shading amazing ^^
    Thanks Misty! Not a bad idea, about giving Little Bobby a place for himself to spend the rest of his days in peace. He's been through enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I've been silently watching from a dark corner... This is more and more stunning & brilliant.
    Like a diagram from a geological book turned into a wonderful fantasy map.
    Ooh yes, I loved those diagrams! Although I don't think I'll be indicating geological layers on this one for fear of messing it up

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I'll have to second Thom on the mountains. You've really stepped up your game, and as he said, the bar was pretty high before. The coastlines look a little flat right now (though it might be caused by the current lack of shading on the water more than anything else) right now, maybe you could add some cliffs to some points in order to give the whole coast a more 3-dimensional feeling? Not sure if cliffs would be the right way to go about it, it's just a suggestion. I just feel it needs... something to make it look more like the ground continues beneath the water too. But maybe it's jut the current flat color on the ocean that makes it appear so, I have a feeling you might already be on this, so I might be just making an ass of myself here

Anyhoo, beautiful colors so far! Look forward to seeing what you do next.
    Hey Kell, thanks for the tips! I was working on the ocean texture already like you guessed, but those cliffs were a good idea. And guess what: they're in there! I'm also gonna add some extra terrain detail all over, beginning with that canyon. Maybe some dunes north of that? Maybe a butte or two, some mesa's... an impact crater? We'll see how far my wandering brain takes me.

Also, on those oceans, I'm playing with the idea of having some terrain details fade into the water (a bit like those underwater ridges on the right), but no idea yet if that's gonna look okay. I'll have to experiment with it a bit.

I'm also gonna add human structures: a few cities, a sprinkle of villages, some roads, a handful of ruins here and there... There's still a ton in the making.

But for now, here's my newest WIP!

Straits of Qalimbar (5c).jpg
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I realy like this style !

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast