Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2014 Challenge: Chashio's request

I was just trying to figure out the larger area so I could grasp more fully the wonderful setting Lingon sketched out for me. He's the one who talked me into including the whole thing in the map. And I do agree my enthusiasm makes me not particularly good at being in the position of client. Lingon, on the other hand, is great as both client and artist and has been fabulous to work with. Very much appreciated.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Actually, Chashio, to someone who felt commission painting was getting too mechanical and repetitive, you're a pretty awesome client. I'm more motivated for mapping now than I've been in a long time, so what else could I ask for?

And now that the stars are aligned and the pigs are flying, I've made progress!

### Latest WIP ###
    Chashio8.jpg
    Last edited by Lingon; 10-31-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Fabulous! I love that soft-edgy texturing on the south ocean

Lingon, this is looking beautiful. And fyi, if you have any tips for me on the watercolors I'm all ears.

It looks like you have already untapped it from being stretched? At what point do you do that? Is it any time after you have completed the larger overall area? I've only got 90 weight paper which is on the lighter side, what paper do you use? Sorry for all the questions but it seems you know what you are doing and I'm on a quest for knowledge
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Glad to hear it, Chashio!

Thanks, Jaxilon! No problem, I'll answer what I can It's still "stretched", in quotation marks because it buckled anyway. I don't usually spend to much time doing a proper stretching, because it has to be removed to be scanned, and then it would have to be re-stretched, and even when I've actually made sure it was properly done, it still buckled, so it doesn't seem worth it imo. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong though. My paper for this one is 200g, so it can take a bit more moisture, and I like to work with very thin paints and lots of layers, so that's important for me. It's a balance between thickness and price, though…

Thanks, I'll have to try a heavier paper then. Mine still buckles a bit but not too bad and it seems to go back into shape when dried. I've always gone cheap on the paper but maybe it's time to upgrade. Like you, I've found that lots of thin layers is the best way to go as well. Thanks for the input.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Mountains and rivers done-ish. A draft for them, at least. Lakes are just temporarily colored for now. Sorry about the blurriness :/

### Latest WIP ###
    Chashio9.jpg

Magnificent!

Got some color on the land and a first round of shading on the mountains. One more layer of shadows should add some interest and contrast to them. Also messed a bit with the northern ocean, which was requested The pic is still a little blurry in places, had to piece 4 scans together, but better than the photos I think…

### Latest WIP ###
    Chashio10b.jpg

Wow, the colors look fantastic!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast