Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Altdorf map (Warhammer)

Thanks. Yes, youre right. Ive changed the colours, and added lots of other features (locations, back yards, streets...)
    altdorf-v3.3.jpg

I like the detail you are going into here.

I have two suggestions:
    --I'm not too keen on the way the landmarks pop out of the map. I think it would look better if you got rid of the bevel effect.
    --Your city doesn't seem to have many major roads. Like Falconius said, streets are like a vascular system: you have arteries to move large amounts of blood cells, veins to move medium amounts, and capillaries for smaller amounts. Your city should have avenues, streets, and alleys (first, this is a gross simplification, but it sets the groundwork; second, I'm not a surgeon, so don't use my anatomical analogy for medical purposes).

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I have to agree on the bevels. It's not that they don't look good, it's that they don't mesh with the rest of the map stylistically. The rest of the map looks like it's on paper, but the bevels look very electronic.

Good points. More major roads (conecting harbour, market, tempel and such) and get rid of bevels. And no unskilled surgery

UPDATE:
    Added a new palace and imperial church. Have begun street layout in the slums. Changed colours and removed bevels. And some minor tweaks.

Please comment.

altdorf-v3.4.jpg
    altdorf-v3.4-close.jpg

It's looking good and better to me ! Without the bevel the colored buildings are far much easier to spot and all is very clean.
    What are you planning to do with the lands around the city? I would like to have more contrast between the city and the surrounding areas.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Much better! The roads make a lot of sense now and I really like the colors of the debevelled landmarks.

Great, thanks! Outside of the city walls Ill place some "villages", or maybe rather some buildings by the gates and the river. Ill also add some fields and some wooded areas. And roads of course.

The colour key:

GREEN - Taverns, inns. Basicly lodging and/or drinking. And entertainment.
    PURPLE - Churches, abbeys and such.
    ORANGE - Academical.
    BLUE - Shops, merchants, guilds etc. I think Ill make these into to grous (light and dark blue) to represent public and private locations
    YELLOW - Imperial. Administration, imperial palace, city watch etc.

I think that will be suffiecent. Thoughts?

I don't know, it looks pretty damn cool. I like the thin black outlines you've put in there, but I'm wondering if you experimented taking them out or lowering their intensity at all? This is going to be a remarkably detailed work when you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I don't know, it looks pretty damn cool. I like the thin black outlines you've put in there, but I'm wondering if you experimented taking them out or lowering their intensity at all? This is going to be a remarkably detailed work when you're finished.
    Thanks! Yes, quite detailed Fortunatly, the south bank is where the nobilty lives and its generellay an upper class area with less maze like backyards. On the other hand, the east bank is where the slum is...
    I havnt been experimenting with the outlines yet. Ive been thinking about it, and Ill probably tweak them a bit. Theyre just default black for now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast