Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed 1900s topographic map

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Very nice texturing! The mountains look very natural now. The forests, as they are, feel a little monotone and featureless at the moment, but it depends on how much other stuff you add. If there's a lot of information in the final map, forests like those could work perfectly. I'd suggest play around with other features and come back to the forests later if needed.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Yeah, I'm still not convinced by the forests, symbols are my second option but I wanted some feedback before using them, it might have been only me.

The other big problem is that I have to name ~200 features and I'm nowhere near being that creative.
    Last edited by mbartelsm; 04-17-2015 at 04:30 PM.

I second what Lingon says. If you have a lot of features, this kind of forest will do the trick.

Some old topographic maps here:

http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/3felmeres.htm

Might help you find inspiration

Very impressive. I'm not sure about including the forest at all, as to me it would seem to simply be assumed with the map type, with perhaps variations such as scrub or tundra or marsh being indicated as being anomalous to the norm. Put another way, this map is focused on topography and distinct features, trying to include too much more information than that might actually degrade the quality attained thus far. Or alternatively indicating more than one vegetation area type.

I've got no help for naming that many things though, that's going to be hard. My method of finding names is usually to take words and mash them around till I get something cool sounding. I would suggest as it seems population is sparse there, that names would be extremely simple and likely repetitive (ie Fork River, Fork Mountain, Fork Forest).

Update.

While I name all that stuff I decided to add the missing altitude markers. It's not much, but if I don't do something I'll probably forget about the project and I don't want that to happen.

Map9.jpg

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Just wanted to say that this is really, really beautiful work. Please don't give up on it! Also, if you're running out of steam naming things, name generators are your friends:

http://donjon.bin.sh/name/#ancient_world
    http://www.squid.org/rpg-random-generator
    http://fantasynamegenerators.com/#fantasyNames

Just wow! This looks like a huge undertaking. Please don't give up on it, I want to see how this turns out.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the kind words everyone, you gave me the energy I needed to continue (damn these smileys are creepy)

I've just finished naming 120 rivers, still 70 to go, after that I'll begin naming coastal and land features and then move on to adding settlements and roads.

This is phenomenal, professional grade stuff. Makes my maps look like child's work.
    BriniaSona
    Graphic Artist of Sanctity Design
    Founder and Administrator of Kwandrivia: Action Roleplay Forum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast