9 39.13%
  • The Racetrack by Krieghund

2 8.70%
  • Training at the River Bend by RedKettle

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May / June 2015 Lite Challenge: Map an Ambush. VOTING

That last comment is a tricky point chick.
    I say that because if that were the definitive way that maps were judged then one who did a simple quick map could easily win over one who really dug in and challenged themselves to something. I have failed to finish several challenges for that very reason.
    It would suck for all that effort to be automatically trumped by a quick finish.
    That's merely one take on that issue.
    One that I had already thought about - has nothing at all to do with this particular challenge or its participants.

OK, so while the voting continues, I need some ideas to start the next challenge. Is there anything you want to try?

On the subject of finished maps: finished is a relative term, there is always more you can do on a map, and we don't remove maps from the challenge because they are "unfinished" we just leave it up to the voters to decide what they like. Having fun, and learning while we push ourselves are the primary goals of these challenges. Yes it is nice to win, but that should be secondary.

Good luck in the voting, guys

Bogie: People seemed quite keen on these two very similar ideas (here and here). There are some other interesting challenges buried down in the double digits of the suggestions forum. I reckon we should take another crack at some cutaways again.

Just placed my vote(s)!

As for the next chalenge, I've been meaning to suggest a portoland chart... it's a great excuse to practice coastline design and compass roses. Er, I guess I'll start the proper thread/poll for it now

How about ... Map a place that's been affected by a cataclysmic event, whether mundane or fantastical.

My thinking was you could do somewhere (big or small) that's been affected by a disaster like an earthquake, flood or volcanic eruption. Or you could step into the fantastical and have something like a dark lord raising a giant mountain for his evil lair in the middle of a region, or maybe duelling magicians wrecking the landscape or something like that.

My other idea is possibly a little too vague and open-ended (and I'm borrowing heavily from Chick's submission this month for the idea) but I'll throw it out there anyway. Basically, the challenge would be: Map a place of historical significance. This could be anything from a single street or grassy knoll to a Continent. You'd have to include information on why it's important and what happened.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JefBT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Maybe more, but IMHO if a map is not finished, it should not qualify for the challenge. It's very unfair to the people who took the time and effort to finish theirs.
    I agree with that. The experience counts a lot, but the map should not qualify for the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    That last comment is a tricky point chick.
    I say that because if that were the definitive way that maps were judged then one who did a simple quick map could easily win over one who really dug in and challenged themselves to something. I have failed to finish several challenges for that very reason.
    It would suck for all that effort to be automatically trumped by a quick finish.
    That's merely one take on that issue.
    One that I had already thought about - has nothing at all to do with this particular challenge or its participants.
    J.Edward said a nice thing too. A hard work should participate too, finished or not.
    But if a quick finish is a good work, it should count too.

Ideas for the next challenge... how about underground mapping? Like some dwarven kingdom, or subway lines?

Congrats on your second compass, ChickPea
    Pretty damn good work, everyone!

Sooo, what's next? I really want to get stuck into the next challenge.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Congrat on the win Chickpea, well deserved!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast