Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First (serious) attempt at map-making (PS CS6)

A very good map already! I like the land shapes and your coloring. Looking forward to see more

Thanks Ilanthar! I am a bit unsure regarding the colouring (perhaps too saturated?) but I'l do some experiments.

10 - Added an extra Stroke on the landmasses to define the coasts a bit better. Then I added some extra stars to the important cities. But most importantly I added a compass rose and a bunch of lines emanating from it. The Oceans still looked too empty for me so I copied the lines and placed them elsewhere! (I'm pretty sure there's a name for this...). I looked up "Compass Rose PNG" and slightly edited the picture. Then I put 0% Fill, added a Colour Overlay of White with Blending Mode set to Overlay.
    Lines had the same effects as the compass and I filled them in manually using the selection Fill tool (no line tool used, due to lack of knowledge).

qekZ3KV.jpg

11 - Added a saturation correcting layer, made 3 variations.. Which one do you like the most?

qekZ3KV.jpg qubqs6D.jpg MQtHgE7.jpg
    Last edited by Dörne; 08-14-2015 at 05:33 PM.

That's one beautiful map! While I don't understand all your technical talk about how you're making the map, I really do appreciate the lay of the land so to speak. The coast lines, the continents and the islands and all is very interesting. The only gripes I have are the location of some of the mountains; where does your tectonic plates go? You don't have to think about all that stuff, I just do and that's why I'm asking not all maps have to be earth like and realistic that way

My vote on the first one, which has a better color palette imho.

@Vidgange - I decided (for my sanity) to avoid meddling with tectonics. It's all quite confusing and while I'm sure I could one day learn it, for this map I just decided to skip it. The mountain placement is how it is mostly so I can place certain elements in certain places for the campaign. I hope that clears up why I decided not to with tectonic plates, etc..

@Ilanthar - I'm likely going to end up with the 1st one, since I'm planning on printing it and using it as a tabletop, and if it's overly gray it might look a bit ugly Thanks for the feedback!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is really great work! And I appreciate the technical notes too, thank you for sharing that business. I know when I get working I usually forget to keep track of what I've done to the settings. I should really learn to take notes one of these days…

Is the island surrounded by the compass rose particularly important? It looks like it should be the place from which explorers set out, or all culture emanates, or something like that. I can't wait to see your next steps!

cheers,
    Meshon

@Meshon - Thanks! I just keep notes because people might be interested in using them in their own projects I feel like it's something that I should do, to give back to the community!
    Regarding the Island, I wanted to make it the center of the compass rose for no particular reason other than it would look better there than in any other place, although now I can see how good that would be as an explorer hub! Thanks for the idea!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

very jealous. I am working on a map for my Game/Story world and am no where near even a tenth complete. good work and congratulations on your talent. keep it up.

as far as which of the three I like the most.. it's hard for me to see a difference, but i am drawn to liking the 3rd one the best.. not sure why, i'm just drawn to it more.

@EpicSpire - Thanks for the words of encouragement man! Allow me to give you some of my own!
    When I first started creating my world it was pretty slow. I got around to making a few maps but they were nowhere near the quality of this one. Eventually I kinda quit from it since I had no idea how I'd take on such a huge task.
    Then I found this website! Looking in on tutorials and taking inspiration from other mapmakers inspired me to move forward with my project! Seeing all those amazing maps just lit a fire in me!
    I wish you good luck with your own project

First of all, welcome neighbour! Também sou de Lisboa, acho que somos os dois portugueses por aqui...

Now, as for your map, a general comment - your grasp of techniques is amazing and the map is very very accomplished in its style. If you manage to be as good in labelling as you've been so far, this map is going to be a killer! All the reputation you are getting / will get is well awarded. Labelling is far harder than it seems, so avoid rushing it and take the good advice from the experts in here (me not being one).

One aspect where your map seems a slittle sloppy is when it comes to geology/climatology. Let's leave mountains alone, since you already said you didn't want to meddle with tectonics (fully understandable). But climate, which influences coloring so much!, could be a little better.. just a few hints you can take (or not):

- the eastern coast should be wetter, a lot like South East Asia. Nearly all the way to the bottom of the map, I'd say, and inwards at least to the big N-S ridge.
    - there should be more color transitions in a North South fashion, between white/blue snowy lands and the desert - dark green/grayish brown first, then dark, slightly blue shades of green, then your kind of light green, then pale green (yellowish).
    - as you go south, the top of mountains and mountain ranges (or some intermediate altitudes) will be the darker green areas.

These changes (which I think are at range for your abilities) would make the map look much more believable. Your triple coloring (SNOW, GRASS&FOREST, DESERT) seems so much more amateurish than everything else, and that's why I am mentioning it.

Overall, your map still rocks and it's one of the best ones to appear here at the guild in recent times. So rep to you, well deserved!!

Oh, concerning your 3 variations on saturation, I think the one on the left (more saturation and less correction) works best, imho.
    Last edited by Pixie; 08-16-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast