Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] - A Homegrown D&D Campaign World

Thanks for the input. I left that central river some extra space so I could tinker with how that area might look a couple different ways. Manipulating the forests is easy enough that I can draw them closer if I need to. I want to see how that spot will look with a thin, snake-like lake separating the woods. I'm trying to put out the image of Chimere being a somewhat flat, well watered area south of the mountains. Trying to emulate some geographic features from where I live. If it ends up looking ugly I'll close up the woods around it and leave it as a river.

Little bit more work around the Volian mountains area. :-)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

How big is your actual canvas? Is this a smaller version? Some of the linework of the city icons is hard to see.

This is a much smaller portion of the original canvas... Maybe 5% of it. I've actually noticed that problem myself but I'm afraid I'm too much invested in it at this point to change the size. Also concerned if I make it larger that sketchbook wont be able to handle the file size and crash on me. I've had that problem before.
    Last edited by gspRooster; 10-29-2015 at 09:31 AM.

...I could try to redo the major cities to make them larger and switch to a different icon style for small towns maybe?

I've been doing some tinkering...

I've cut the map into quarters and increased the size of each quarter by 3x, then did a little work on a test segment to see if it makes it look any better/worse than the original.

Here is a side-by-side of the original size, vs the new size with some work done.
    Thoughts? I'm thinking that I like the larger size better, even though it's going to make the end map massive, it allows for much more detail and I can always segment the end map into multiple files based on region.

Original Size...

Vs New Size with some work done...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think larger is the way to go. More room for glorious detail!

Starting to work on the Chimere region again with the larger map. Thoughts on details? Is it getting too "busy"?

You should add a border edge on your land masses like with your trees. A small one would make it look better imo

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

I enjoyed this map, since the first version you posted, I liked even more the current style, the details are great. But with the cities and large towns as this seemed more a small region, being a more physical representation. While the first map the cities seemed more a symbolic representation, thus passing the impresion of being a much larger area.
    Artistically prefer the newer, I already said this, but the details are beautiful ... and looks like Kingdom Rush, I really like Kingdom Rush.

I think you should look for a middle ground between the two styles. Could have an interesting result.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast