Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Qanat: The Broken World

Maybe their coordinates are centered in that island? Could be a holy site or imprrial capital of something. Its like galactic coordinates being centered on the sun instead of Sagitarius A. Heck, now you have me thinking in interesting possibilities... Thank you!

Also awesome map! Just beautiful.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Humabout has it exactly right. That island was the seat of an ancient empire that was mostly responsible for the cataclysm that destroyed much of the continent.

Yay! Do I get a cookie?

May I ask how you choose your pallet? I don't want to thread-jack this topic though; just say and I'll post that elsewhere.

I don't mind at all; not thread-jacking in the slightest.

I really don't have any methodical or well-documented way to pick colors; I just throw stuff up there and see what looks good (to me, YMMV). There are no real deserts in this map; the dark gold areas are dry grassland while the green is more forest-y grassland, and there will also be actual forest shown; that's what I'm experimenting with now.

Also, I'm out of cookies. I do have a couple Klondike ice cream cookie sandwiches though.

Let's see:

-Changed the snow/glacier
    -Border done
    -increased the bevel on the land masses just a tiny little bit to help them pop a little more

Now to start a new file for the text on this beast!

(Had a lot more time than I thought I'd have to work on this, since I'm home for a couple days with a broken toe!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diamond; 01-05-2016 at 01:50 AM.

I like the carved details on the corner pieces. You need to kick butt less hard or you'll break another toe! Then again we might get more maps from you that way.... Carry on!

Very nice! I would do a transition or maybe underline more the coastline, though. Don't know, I kinda have the feeling that the lands are a bit disconnected from the waters and lines.

@ Humabout: thanks!

@ Ilanthar: I'll play around with some outer glows around the land and see how that looks. I tried my traditional coastal rings and they didn't look good at all, so that's out.

The colors are lovely. Nice land shapes too. This is going to be a beaut.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Let's see:

-Changed the snow/glacier
    -Border done
    -increased the bevel on the land masses just a tiny little bit to help them pop a little more

Now to start a new file for the text on this beast!
    Colours are lovely. I really like the contrast with the lighter lands and dark ocean. The border is beautiful.

How do you create the reliefs? Mind sharing?

(Had a lot more time than I thought I'd have to work on this, since I'm home for a couple days with a broken toe!)
    Ouch! I'm not even going to ask....
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast