View Poll Results: November/December 2015 Challenge Voting :*** "Commission" a Guilder ! ***

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Promising Loot in Musfat Spaceport by Abu Lafia

3 12.50%
  • Hidroth Lea by arsheesh

10 41.67%
  • The Defiled Temple by Bogie

3 12.50%
  • Helvenblade House by Chashio

0 0%
  • Nippur by Chick

4 16.67%
  • A Lack of Cooperation by Diamond

5 20.83%
  • City of Seyazade by Ilanthar

12 50.00%
  • Umi No Toride by J.Edward

20 83.33%
  • Forlorn Tower by Larb

9 37.50%
  • The Genial Descent Into Obscurity by Meshon

2 8.33%
  • Elemental Airship by Romeinoneday

2 8.33%
  • The Island of Gnoff by snodsy

4 16.67%
  • Mikscifonia by xpian

7 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: November/December 2015 Challenge Voting :*** "Commission" a Guilder ! ***

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

J.Edward's map has a clean, beautiful, professional look that really takes my breath away. I'm always envious of his stuff.

Ilanthar's city is very cool and sharp. It actually looks a little like an unfinished cliff-city I'd been working on at home, and is inspiring me to pick that project back up.

I like the look and feel of Abu Lafia's spaceport, and appreciate the work that went into achieving it.

Arsheesh's amazing, photo-realistic top-down style is always a jaw-dropper, and makes me want to develop a style like that for my own portfolio.

I never know how Bogie packs so much detail into maps like the Defiled Temple. My Dungeon Master brain gets rolling with story ideas just glancing at it.

I applaud Chick for taking on the challenge of history, and showing us a glimpse of the ancient world.

Diamond's map almost looks like something right out of National Geographic, and that's high praise as far as I'm concerned.

I love the line-heavy illustrated style of Larb's tower. If Dungeon Magazine had used maps of this quality on a regular basis, I'd never have been able to part with my collection (during my misguided attempt to get away from DnD.)

Romeinoneday's airship revs up my Spelljammer lust and makes me want to throw my PCs into space.

Snodsy's Gnopf is an interesting combo map. I especially like the submerged castle. You could run a whole adventure from this.

Meshon's Genial Descent is cute, fun, and well executed.

Naturally, I'm sad for my challenge partner Chashio, who was unable to finish the map we had discussed, but I totally understand the demands that modern life places on the time we all have to get things like this done.

As usual, I'm spreading my votes around (without voting for myself, of course).
    _-_-_-_-_

I should mention that it looks as though only the low-resolution GIF of my project got linked to in the thumbnails page. You can't see much from that, other than the fact that the shape of the islands overlap. Hopefully, people have clicked through to the main thread where the high-resolution version of both maps can be seen. If not, here is the link: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...t=32383&page=5
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yep, if you haven't already, I definitely urge you to check out xpian's map; just the GIF alone is cool, but then on top of that you've got two neat maps.

Great job everyone.

As for Repping I believe you can only rep 10 people in 24 hrs.

So many good and intriguing entries, really hard to pick a vote! The Commission a guilder is definitely my favorite challenge of the year

Great work everyone!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Blog Entries

Voting for three entries only would have been too hard! So, I doubled my votes!
    Congrats to everybody for showing off your passion and dedication to the Art of Mapmaking.

Wow, guys, just awesome on the entries here. I'm going to have to take a nap and come back. Hope I can make up my mind before I run out of time.

Seriously, this challenge is the cat's meow and you all did incredible. I want to vote for everyone and for all sorts of different reasons. I don't know what I'm going to do what a great batch of maps!!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I feel your pain, Jax! I kinda want to vote for everyone too, but I need to narrow it down to two or three or four....
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Yes, I thought all the entries were great too - once again nothing I disliked. It's why I force myself to only ever pick three - otherwise I'd just pick most/all of them. And even though Chashio had trouble with the manor house and it is in a super preliminary state, what is there shows a lot of potential I think.

I voted for J.Edward, Meshon, and Ilanthar.

J.Edward because he was who I partnered with and felt compelled to vo- just kidding! I think everyone can agree it is just a superb piece of work - a great map and a great piece of artwork in its own right.

Meshon because I just really really liked the execution of the whole thing. Clear map, nice line art, interesting layout, evocative description. And I am struggling with a sci-fi ship map of my own currently so it was nice to see how someone else did it.

Ilanthar because it takes a great idea, makes use of good tools to create a clear map with two perspectives and a nice theme. The only criticism I have is I dislike the roof texture. But it's small thing overall.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

I still haven't voted. I can't choose. Everyone did things that I liked.
    I will just have to force myself to do it. It's going to be difficult though.

I feel like Chashio has a giant secret stash of awesome work she won't show us.
    Chashio - even your sketches are intriguing to me.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I feel like Chashio has a giant secret stash of awesome work she won't show us.
    Chashio - even your sketches are intriguing to me.
    This.

(plus extra characters for your viewing enjoyment)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast