Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** January 2016 Challenge: Re-map a Pulp World ***

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I wouldn't call Fritz Leiber's Nehwon or Lovecraft works pulp. I mean yes they both write for some pulp magazines but their works weren't really categorized in pulp litterature.
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-08-2016 at 06:31 PM.

They would likely be a subset of Pulp - sword and sorcery for Howard's Conan and Kull and Lieber's Newhon [even maybe Smith's Zothique], sword and planet for Burroughs' Barsoom and Pellucidar, lots of stuff fell into the 'Pulp fiction' category. Western [cowboy] adventures, outer space adventures, sea adventures, super science, horror, obviously crime noir stuff a la true detective style, suspense romance, wild planet adventures or jungle adventures,campy scifi like Flash Gordon, Superman appeared in 1938 so he'd be in there, Weird Tales, Wonder Stories...
    at the height of pulp magazines in the US, they were working every subject category they could think of to print. Nothing was out of bounds for cheap pulp mags then.

I'm not sure what Diamond wanted to shoot for here but if we're just speaking of the category - it's really pretty wide open, based on what was actually printed in pulp magazines.
    I suspect that Diamond had something more specific in mind, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Banned User

For those who are trying to define what constitutes "pulp", here is a good description: http://www.vintagelibrary.com/pulpfi...lp-Fiction.php

Keep in mind that "pulp" refers to the paper on which inexpensive books were printed, and NOT on the quality of the writing or story. Lieber and Lovecraft are excellent examples of fine writing published on pulp paper, as are early Asimov and Bradbury (science fiction), Chandler and Hammett (detective), and Grey and Brand (western).

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Ok, get it. I'm gonne draw a pulp map on cheap paper

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Ok, get it. I'm gonne draw a pulp map on cheap paper
    Good plan! Maybe that should be part of the challenge

I like this. I'm a big fan of Burroughs, he covered multiple genres, Tarzan, John Carter, Pelucidar, even some westerns. He even did some of the earlier crossovers, like Tarzan at the Earths Core.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Like I said, these contests are usually pretty open to interpretation. Y'all free-form it.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I guess the problem with defining pulp is that it's really a material definition and a period definition. Pulp contains a huge category of genres. I think Diamond's initial list points to a particular focus, and I really like the idea of making the material a part of the production. I'm not sure I'm experienced enough with this material to produce something legitimate, though I did read a couple John Carter novels a few years back. And I have some cheap paper...

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Like I said, these contests are usually pretty open to interpretation. Y'all free-form it.
    You're a funny guy D.

edito... but, uhm, not like you're a clown, not like you're here to amuse me...
    Last edited by J.Edward; 01-09-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's too funny - I was actually watching Goodfellas last night!

*kneecaps J.Edward*

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast