Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Khaz (Commission WIP)

Been a while since my last update, but here it is. Added a background texture I like (I think), modeled forests,rivers and lakes, and added detail to the land forms. Next up: color!

Khaz WIP 4.jpg

Going into shading of mountains and land features.

Khaz WIP 6.jpg

Looking pretty great so far.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

GWN, the linework looks very nice. Regarding the colors, that red region in the west sort of stands out too much. My recommendation would be to (a) use a color more toward orange and/or (b) tone down the hue saturation by half or so. The other recommendation I have is use a completely different texture for the ocean. This map has potential but that texture certainly isn't doing it any favors (just looks like a bunch of high contrast fractal clouds). A better choice would be to either use a pre-made parchment texture, or to make one yourself. I know there are a few parchment tutorials here in our tutorials section and I'm sure there are plenty of others on the net as well. Otherwise this map is looking really nice.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I agree Arsheesh. I've been struggling with the ocean and I've already planned to re-do it in the future. It's pretty ugly and I think I can improve it.

After updating the ocean I think the map looks a lot better. For now, I think the basemap is done and I'll be moving on to cities and labels (The quality is cut to get the image to uploadable size). I'd really appreciate input on the city icons. Do they look like they fit with the map? Are they legible? And is there anything I can do to improve them? The section with the city icons is full res, and therewill need to be some labels for the cities, as well as some other towns and castles with their own icons sprinkled in.

rsz_khaz_wip_8_-_copy.jpg Khaz WIP 9.jpg

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Compared to the map the line art of the icons looks too thin IMO.

It's looking really great, the oceans are waaay better now.

I think the different biomes are too pronounced, the colours of the landscape I mean. I think there should be more transition between them if you get my meaning, And maybe the grasslands could be a tad bit more yellow?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks for the input! I agree about the abruptness of the biome transitions, but this is a problem with my technique, and I actually can't seem to make them blend better. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast