Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Nice entry Ravi! The map is shaping up nice.
    Are you staying with the colors as is, or planning to change them later? With Tan for the water and blue for the land, my mind keeps seeing the land as underwater.

Cheers Bogie, I'm still undecided about the colours - I'm glad you mentioned it but Chickpea likes colours ... so I'm still undecided! I'm following a Victorian Map style from the Rumsey Collection, but I'm not convinced it really works. One of the big differences between 'real' maps and fantasy maps is that fantasy maps tend to have so few locations named and real maps are heaving with them and I think the lack of place names in fantasy maps gives them a different feel, so it doesn't look 'right' when you use a real map style - maybe. I've still got various islands, towns, cities etc. to put in and once I've done that I'll revisit the colour scheme.

I have two more typefaces to make (which I'll never do in time for the end of the contest) - All caps for large cities and a different style of all caps for large regions (IM Fell looks OK but it's not what's really needed). The map I'm using as a reference has about 5 different typefaces. I'm not sure I have the sanity reserve to make all 5 - I think I'd rather map a city!

I think Bogie makes a valid point about the colouring. My familiarity with the book map is probably causing me to overlook that your colours are pretty much the reverse of what we usually see. It is such a lovely palette though. You couldn't just flip them round?

Major kudos for making your own fonts!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

A bit more progress, putting in temporary borders and titles just seeing how the whole thing hangs together. Beginning to hate the colour scheme...might just go for grayscale. :: Edit:: It's odd you see the land as blue as It's green on my monitor. Here's a bit of the reference map I'm using for style. Thanks about the fonts, Chickpea. They're fun to do but they take such a long time and pixel error shows up large. They are a pain (but a fun pain).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looks green to me. Looks good to me also. I'm mystified as to why Bogie was confused about what was land and what was water - did the mountains, forests, and scads of names not give it away?

Nice font! The map looks great so far but I would pick a darker color for the sea 8maybe blue?)
    Last edited by Carnifex; 02-15-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Oh no! I've started another What color is this dress war!!

I was not confused as to what was supposed to be land, just not used to seeing land done in blue, albeit a greenish blue. It is probably my monitor that is at fault, it is an inexpensive one that has a bit to much yellow in it for it's own good.

The map is looking very good Ravi, do it in what ever color scheme that you like.

Now look what you've gone and done, Bogie! I've gone for a blue sea, for as we all know the wisdom of Carnifex should not be lightly set aside. Have to say, I think it looks much better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great ravells!
    You gonna map and label all that?

Thanks Carni. It's pretty much got all the labels the Author has provided which is a bit sad as so much of it is just empty space. I might just make up some names and place to make it look better.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast