Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: Sword of Shannara

This is looking really nice! I love the little decorative elements in the corner. And I think I'm getting phantom wrist pain just thinking about how long it must have taken you to draw all the mountain & forest detail!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

So here is some progress. I´m still pondering about settlements as I limited myself a bit resolutionwise ( preview is not full resolution ). Everytime I learn some more how it all fits together...

### Latest WIP ###

Shannara5.jpg

Guild Novice

I've been thinking about borrowing the books from my local library after watching the first four episodes of the TV series, and this map you're offering us just makes me wanna read them even more now. I absolutely adore that frame ! Did you actually hand-draw it ?
    The only thing I'm not too fond of is the forests' thin outlines- I find it to clash quite a bit with the overall thickness on the mountains, but maybe that will change if you happen to color it
    Overall, it's a great job already, and the amount of details is astounding. Just like ChickPea, my wrist is sympathizing...

Looking superb Troedel. Your mountains are fantastic and the frame is gorgeous. The only suggestion I have is that the forest texture is quite similar to the ground texture, might be worth changing it (if that's easy or possible)? This is hand drawn on paper right?

Thanks for the suggestions, line strength of the mountains is a bit strong. But going back there is.. daunting. I will see about the forest texture. Looking at it in this way you are right Ravells, it should stand out a bit more.
    It is painted on iPad pro with Apple Pencil and Procreate and it´s a godsend combination. Expensive, but not so much as a new Mountainbike. So I´ve got running shoes . Border is handpainted, outline copied over and customized for the new position.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Meh, cycling is overrated anyway!
    Outrageous!!

Troedel, I love what you've got so far. It's looking fantastic. I've never read the Shannara books, as I was put off by the Tolkien rip-off descriptions, though I think I would probably enjoy them anyway. I think your map is already significantly better than the official one.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer

I have to agree with ravells, when I look at the map as a whole, all of the fill/texture runs together between the plains and the forests. To me it makes it hard to distinguish between them at a glance.

Lord Entrails you are right. I'm working at it and think I can sharpen it up without changing the texture too much. The illustrations eat time like nothing, I will show some progress later today. Think so at least

As it´s half past midnight it´s technicaly not later this day but...

### Latest WIP ###

Shannara6.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast