Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: March 2016 Challenge: An illustrated archeological survey

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I really like this one. This has always been one of my favorite perspectives for dungeons.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks great Lingon! The side view cut away is a good idea.

Great start. Those faces are fantastically creepy!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post

but mappers like me don't stand a chance against your types when someone wants to game!
    You gotta be kidding me...This type of Map is what Mappers like me, who have no artist skills wish our Programs could do also. We are limited top down single layered artwork from 1 Angle. This is the Kinda Map that I would love to frame and display on a Wall all the Time. This is the Kind of Map that players love to receive as a Handout. Players don't want to receive 10 flat maps that when laid out would not make any sense to them. This map as players move from top to bottom they can easily track their Location. I can only create a Map because someone else has created the elements for me already.

Artists have the Advantage because yall can create Individual art without repetitiveness..People like me are Waiting for Someone to create new art to keep our maps from looking stale. I get shot down on a Commissions because I am to "Nostalgic".

Only reason I have not entered is I have been working on one of the Re-creation Maps I do for people for Old Maps for VTT in scaled format got that finished Now to throw something together just for fun.
    Last edited by jpstod; 03-12-2016 at 01:34 AM.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Hey jpstod, you use Campaign Cartographer don't you? Have you seen some of the maps I have been able to create using that program? I can do similar things to what Lingon is doing for this challenge too. I was actually going to do a map of the same style to the one he is doing but decided against it when I saw him starting up because I didn't want it to be similar to anyone elses entry. You should check out the Cartographer's Annual for December 2009 issue 36A. It will show you how to make side views and cross sections. Also check out the Cartographers Annual August 2011 Issue 56, vertical dungeon geomorphs. It will teach you how to do dungeons similar to this one, using this perspective.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Hey jpstod, you use Campaign Cartographer don't you? Have you seen some of the maps I have been able to create using that program? I can do similar things to what Lingon is doing for this challenge too. I was actually going to do a map of the same style to the one he is doing but decided against it when I saw him starting up because I didn't want it to be similar to anyone elses entry. You should check out the Cartographer's Annual for December 2009 issue 36A. It will show you how to make side views and cross sections. Also check out the Cartographers Annual August 2011 Issue 56, vertical dungeon geomorphs. It will teach you how to do dungeons similar to this one, using this perspective.
    Not suggesting you do anything Illegal..but you buying the Annuals for me. Can it be done without buying the Annuals?
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks guys, glad you like it My plan is to put some notes in the spaces around the rooms, but not too much, these archeologists don't really know what they've found… Today I did coloring, can't scan it yet as it's still on the stretching frame (don't know yet if all the painting is done) so the photo is a bit blurry, and… crooked, somehow…

### LATEST WIP ###
    grotta3.jpg

Also checked how it would look with a darker color around the rooms. Unsure. Maybe just a dark around the edges of the rooms, sort of like a glow around a coastline, would look better?
    grotta4.jpg

Man, this is a really lovely dungeon! Layout is fantastic and the details are lovely (the wheeping faces and the clockwork door are screaming for brave adventurers to explore the grotto)!
    I like the subtle colouring a lot, so i'd love to see what you have in mind with the dark fading out a bit more. Btw. with some descriptions, i can easily imagine this as an entry for this year's one page dungeon contest .
    Looking forward to see it progress.

Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Many thanks Abu! I checked out One Page Dungeon but it seems to be beyond my understanding, I have no idea how to make a map roleplayable, would probably just give the judges a laugh and a sigh Here's a test for the fading darkness, looks odd near the surface but should give some idea at least… I think I like this version better than the completely dark one, but something feels off, I'm leaning towards the white variant actually...
    grotta5.jpg

Really nice linedraw. The black fading seems too artificial imo. How about hand drawn stripes from the edge of the rooms ? I like the subtle coloring.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast