Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] The Elven Realms (Commission)

Can only agree with Josiah, very fine work on the mountain and hill details Dan! The rivers look much better now imo (more coherent with the lake shore). As i'm struggling a lot with forest representation myself atm, i'm curious to see what style your girlfriend wants for it. What came to my mind while looking at the map again: The outlined forest area seems pretty large in relation to the whole map. Maybe you could break it up along the rivers flowing through, so it isn't like one large "monolithic" blob. Ofc, it's only an idea, that came to me because i like what you have so far, and you said we should say what we think
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

the rivers are still looking off to me. if you look at it zoomed out, you'll see it ... all of the curves are roughly the same size, which looks unnatural. try varying the size of the squiggles, i bet you like them better

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Those mountains and hills look awesome.
    Thanks Josiah!

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Can only agree with Josiah, very fine work on the mountain and hill details Dan! The rivers look much better now imo (more coherent with the lake shore). As i'm struggling a lot with forest representation myself atm, i'm curious to see what style your girlfriend wants for it. What came to my mind while looking at the map again: The outlined forest area seems pretty large in relation to the whole map. Maybe you could break it up along the rivers flowing through, so it isn't like one large "monolithic" blob. Ofc, it's only an idea, that came to me because i like what you have so far, and you said we should say what we think
    Cheers,
    AL
    Thanks! Yes, please continue to say what you think, it helps me a lot. As for the forests. I have been trying something out, but 1) it doesn't actually look better and 2) it's ex-treme-ly time consuming... So I'll have to give it some thought (: Breaking up the forest into three parts makes sense though, so I'll definitely do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    the rivers are still looking off to me. if you look at it zoomed out, you'll see it ... all of the curves are roughly the same size, which looks unnatural. try varying the size of the squiggles, i bet you like them better
    Thanks for pointing that out (: I hadn't noticed it before, but now I can't un-see it ;p I'll tweak them for the next update.

-Dan

I did a quick test for the forest style my girlfriend requested. I did it with three different fineliners because I wanted to see what would look best for future handdrawn pen&paper maps, so nevermind the difference in thickness.

IMG_20160326_185730.jpg

As always, let me know what you think!

-Dan

I find it a bit strange that the edge has such a thick outline and the rest isn't, especially with the thicker line which makes it very bold.. But I don't know, the more I look at it the more I think it's fine.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Haha, I feel exactly the same as you do! It's looking fine, but there is something that's not right...

-Dan

I think individuating the trees at the edges sort of makes it look like they form a fence around a depression. Not sure what the solution would be.

Hey Dan, this is a nice map, your mountains are really well drawn. For the forest i think that you should add a second range of trees behind the first one, with less definition. It would help to solve the problem rised by Falconius, but it' s really time consuming . Keep at the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think individuating the trees at the edges sort of makes it look like they form a fence around a depression. Not sure what the solution would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Hey Dan, this is a nice map, your mountains are really well drawn. For the forest i think that you should add a second range of trees behind the first one, with less definition. It would help to solve the problem rised by Falconius, but it' s really time consuming . Keep at the great work.
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll give that some thought, and see what I can do with it

-Dan

After a long couple of hours I finally finished the outline of one chunk of forest! Now to fill it in...

The Elven Realms 5.jpg

As always, let me know what you think!

-Dan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast