Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A map in a bottle 2

Map bottle 2.jpg

Hey Thomrey, this was only an observation and not in anyway meant to say your drawing is off, it was just something I noticed, noted by the redlines. Just thought this idea could help in the future in building up terrains, something that I've found has helped me in my drawings. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Kelleri !

Do not worry Snodsy, I did not take it wrong, on the contrary, I was really curious because what you said can help me improve so, it's all good. Thanks to the picture, I can see what you meant. I used the forests to hide the foot of the mountain who was longer in the sketch. Now that you say it, it really gives the impression of a different elevation . Let's say the the slope is less steep.

Thanks for taking time to show me, it'll be useful in the future

Wip

I had a couple hours today so I redid the map digitally and threw some colors to see how it looks. The filling is not done, neither are the shadows and the colors need big work but here is the thing. Feel free to comment.

Map in a bottle 2-1.jpg
    Last edited by ThomasR; 08-18-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Wip

I shaded the mountains, added a little texture for the ocean (not sure it'll stay), added the cliffs and beaches (they'll need to be expanded) removed the coastline and riverbanks and changed the linework's color for the forest.

Map in a bottle 2-2'.jpg

Next, the terrain and forest then the shading (the idea is a bit strange but you see what I mean) of the ocean. Oh ! And I'll try to make a decent compass rose.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 08-19-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Wip

Before I go any further, I'd like to have some opinions from you guys. Here's the direction I'm taking for the terrain near the coast. What do you think ?

Capture d’écran 2016-08-19 à 20.31.47.png

Guild Expert

Hi Thomrey, this is really coming along. I like what you've done with the rocky looking area near the coast, and the cliffs look good too. I imagine you'll be adding some details to the forest, but right now to my eye they are just way too green, and solid. I also like the ripples around the shore, but I'm not a fan of the texture in the water, and like the trees, the solid colour is a bit much, tho I don't know what you have planned. Will you be adding some variation in colour to the trees, and water?

I like the rocks on the beach, and the bank that steps up onto the land proper, but I'm really not keen on that water texture! Sorry!

I pretty much agree with the others. The terrain details look fantastic (and i'm looking forward to see more of them), but the texture is clashing somewhat with the hand drawn style of the rest. For my taste the colors of sea and forest are either too solid or saturated. Have you tried working with less opacity, overlay, etc.? The detailed linework on the mountains looks great with the shading, keep up the good work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Superbe!
    peut-être changer la texture "cuir bleu" de la mer.

Hey Thomrey, agree with other, your line work spectacular, textures not so much.

Like others have said maybe take down the opacity for the forest/ocean texture, really low opacity but add a couple different ones or scale or rotate them and layer them.

I like putting in a low opacity base color over a cloud or parchment texture or even a subtle gradient, then paint areas over them. Your line work is the hero continue that.
    keep up the learning!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast