Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: El Dorado - City of Gold

Really nice ! I don't know anything about pre-columbian civilizations but the map is beautiful
    Newbie question : Do you work with a graphics tablet ?

Nice work on this Snodsy. The composition is really well done.

Thanks for the comments guys, appreciate the support.

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBlake View Post
    Really nice ! I don't know anything about pre-columbian civilizations but the map is beautiful
    Newbie question : Do you work with a graphics tablet ?
    I do work with a graphic tablet in Photoshop, but in Illustrator (which I've used since it's inception) I use a mouse -- So far on this map it's all been done in illustrator, I can work faster and more precise with it.

I will probably go back and take most of the color out of the illustrator file though, leaving the line work to import into photoshop - I'll then paint in the textural qualities. This is the first map that I've done this way however, so not sure how it might work?

Improvement can only come through experimentation, they say. I say - your maps are beautiful anyway, but experimentation is a lot of fun. Enjoy!

Here's an update, I will be taking this into Photoshop to use as a template for the background landscape, then replace the low res sketch. Whole lot more to do, but won't get much done in the next week since I'm heading to BRYCE and ZION Canyon in Utah for some inspiration

El_Dorado3.jpg

This is really shaping up nicely! It's looking very different from your usual map so I'm curious to see the finished map! Enjoy your vacation!

-Dan

Its looking good, Snodsy

I have a confession to make...

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the style, but then I've never really liked Nat Geo illustrations. That's just my personal preferences speaking out loud I'm afraid.

However, and having said that, I think that even though your natural style is absolutely a billion times more entrancing than anything NG, you are already managing to pull their style off... better than they do

Keep up the good work, because even though I'll never like this map as much as your other works, I fully appreciate the inner drive to achieve a set goal - and you are achieving it

That's got to be a good enough reason to rep a person, once the job is done

Thank Mouse for the compliment, but I'm not even close to Fernando Baptista - his Gobekli Tepe, Sagratia Familia, and Trajan Columns are incredible. I also have a "man crush" on him . His detail and model making really makes his subject come alive. It's always good to push new directions and using Illustrator and photoshop to illustrator his a challenge to get them to fit together, so this has already been a good exercise. But again thanks, well off to get ready to see Bryce and Zion !!!!!! See you all in a week.

Oh yes! Sorry - out of broadband is out of touch, and I've been out of broadband for 3 days till now!

Have a really great time

PS - I have a crush on your maps

Great job so far! I love the layout, the view and the topic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast