Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helpity Help help re contouring

Ok - thanks Nasty Harpy.

I'm still a bit confused. Are you talking in Photoshop, or CC3?

I can answer it straight away if its CC3

EDIT: You might be talking about CC3's "Solid Black 20", but then again you might not
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-21-2016 at 06:01 AM.

Hi guys, just to let you know I've moved this thread to the 'How Do I' folder, as that seems a more appropriate folder for the topic (General/Misc Mapmaking is more for WIPs).

Carry on!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks ChickPea

@ Nasty Harpy

I'm going to assume that you are talking in CC3 and just give you the CC3 answer, or with Christmas chaos in full swing at this end I might not be able to get back to you over the next few days and then you would have an annoying delay.

Solid Black 20 is a bitmap fill. You can change the colour by using a Hue Saturation Brightness Effect on the contour sheet, but you will have to put some incredibly high number into the saturation box to get it to be anything other than grey. Something around 200 should do it. This is because the Solid Black 20 bitmap is totally lacking in colour.

An alternative method of producing transparent coloured sheets is to use 'Solid' as the fill (which is just a simple straightforward colour fill and not a bitmap), pick the colour you want by changing properties, then add a Blend Mode sheet effect, set to whatever transparency percentage you wish. Adjusting the way the blend mode works is a matter of experimenting with all the options from the dropdown box. 'Normal' is just straightforward transparency, but you can have multiply, divide, overlay, soft light, hard light, colour burn, colour dogde... a whole long list of different ways to combine the transparency with the underlying sheets for different effects, and to make sure that the underlying detail isn't lost.

I use 'multiply' a lot myself.

The reason I have suggested a Blend Mode and not a straightforward Transparency effect on your contour sheet is to avoid any side effects that might occur if you are using multiple transparency effects on a number of different sheets. Another way to avoid the characteristically blotchy 'transparency acne' that may sometimes occur in intricate and highly complex maps that use a lot of light and transparency effects, is to use the very darkest brown, or the very darkest grey, instead of any black that might otherwise be desired

I'm hoping I haven't just given you CC3 overload! Happy Christmas - and Happy Mapping

Blog Entries

I'm going to assume that you are talking in CC3 and just give you the CC3 answer
    that is why the needed information is well needed

so as to NOT GUESS

this brings me back to the 20 questions game
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thank you Mouse, and others. Yes I'm sorry I meant CC3+ and you answered my question Mouse.

1. a map and adding contours
    2. I am using CC3+
    3. A world map

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Harpy View Post
    Thank you Mouse, and others. Yes I'm sorry I meant CC3+ and you answered my question Mouse.
    You're welcome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12