Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birthday notifications?

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually. The site calendar used to have birthdays on it but we had a discussion about it and decided to pull them. I may be able to make a separate calendar that has birthdays on it. I'll check tonight.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    Fantaseum (https://www.fantaseum.com)

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Or perhaps a pop up window that happens the first time you log in each day, showing birthdays for that day?
    A pop-up window? I didn't believe you when you said you had an evil streak but I'm starting to reconsider now

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    These things are issues for vBulletin rather than admins of the site. Whilst it is technically possible to access the raw database - because we do it for the WIP pages - its rather hard. The calendar hardly ever gets used so by all means put your birthday into it. But the site should say happy birthday to a list of people at the bottom. You dont get any notice for the next day tho.
    Isn't there an option in the calendar's admin panel to include birthdays? I can't imagine it being too different to other similar modules in other forum software. I run a forum that has a calendar and it shows upcoming holidays, events and birthdays. The user can then click on the icon to get the current month's view plus a 3-month view on the left side bar. It came with default holidays such as Easter and the equinoxes and I'm sure there are other packs available but I decided to make my own up.

I think the default calendar in Vbulletin is a shipped module so it's more than likely included with v.5.

Blog Entries

It is, our calendar was vestigial before with nothing but birthdays, so I got rid of them for clutter purposes. I will see if I can get a way to show them. I meant to do it last night but instead did some control panel and database work. Sidetracked again!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Ok, I added in a birthday calendar for those that are interested: https://www.cartographersguild.com/c...p?calendarid=2

You can navigate to it by clicking Calendar up top and choosing birthday calendar from the calendar picker on the top right above the guild calendar that appears.

Thank you very much, Robbie

Thank you, Robbie! And boy, that's a lot of birthdays! I had no idea this community was so big! ;P

According to the statistics right this moment, today (they're where we showed you to look for the birthdays) there are 19,587 members, 1,072 of which are 'active'. Not sure how they 'active' is defined. Possibly they've made a comment in the last 6 months or something.

Considering the site is over 11 years old, that's an astonishingly healthy active member quota

EDIT: another figure of note is the 2884 spammers denied registration since the new measures were put in place by Robbie. That's only been going for a few months, so you can see the kind of bombardment that he and Red (and I think the CLs are involved as well) have to deal with to keep this site nice and clean.

Thank you again, Robbie!
    Last edited by Mouse; 10-08-2017 at 04:08 AM.

Robbie?

I can see lots of birthdays for today, but only one is visible at the bottom of the Forum page. Does that mean the other birthdays are ones where the member would prefer not to get a bunch of Happy Birthday messages on their profile?

There are 30 birthdays on January 1st, although I suspect that it's the default date and members haven't bothered to set their real birthday. Otherwise we have a guilder reaching the impressive age of 113 as we shift into 2018.

It's nice that we take note of the anniversary that the rock we're stood on completes a revolution of our nearest star relative to its position when we first emerged from inside another being. I'm glad they shortened it to birthday though, it's a lot easier to write.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast