Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Relief maps on already drawn map?

Back in Gimp I can make a bump map from it, and I can use gradient maps for colors, etc. But I must say, if you have Photoshop, then you should use that for gradient mapping, since it is far superior to Gimp's gradient mapping.
    L9.jpg
    I have no idea what the scale of this map is, and this is just a quick example, but it is important to remember to cut out the white/land parts and lock the alpha channels and use the 'screen' mode at low opacity. You can blur the edges, fix things, etc later in Gimp/Photoshop.

Blog Entries

for a lot of things like this there is really no
    step#1
    step#2
    step#3
    and so on

there are many different ways ,some work great for some things but NOT other things
    while other tools only work well for a few things

and YES i am being a bit wishy washy

the distance transform type is GREAT for islands and some other areas
    for say North or South America it is not a great choice
    ( well could be with a lot of manual editing )

for some maps a almost 100% hand painted might be best

your black and white map would be a good candidate for a mix of the noise and distance AND hand painting
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Thanks guys! Will be putting it to use my self soon.

A quick example of what I plan on doing eventually with this, taken from the example john gave me:

Did it to test out, time to do my own clouds and do it for real

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Is there a way to do this without Wilbur, for us guys on Macs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

My tut didnt use anything that is specific to any OS and was all done in a paint package. But you wont get the nice erosion modelling unless you use an app. You can write the app but its not all that easy. There are many apps which do erosion modelling but I dont know any of them other than Wilbur that is free and capable of doing it on terrain that is quite large. There are many like Vue, WorldMachine which cost a wedge which are great and may have a Mac port. I also thought that Macs had a windows emulator on it somewhere and you may be able to run Wilbur on a Mac under emulation.

Blog Entries

i do not use apple so...

but there is a Apple version of WINE

i have the 64 bit version of wilbur running in wine ( x86_64) on linux ( OpenSUSE 42.3 - x86_64)

the Microsoft "vc_redist.x64.exe" was "fun" and as i recall i had to hack the install locations to get it to work
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I also thought that Macs had a windows emulator on it somewhere and you may be able to run Wilbur on a Mac under emulation.
    It's not specifically an emulator but more of an integrated feature, called Boot Camp, which allows the user to install Windows on a Mac. It'll set you up with being able to dual boot to MacOS and Windows using the [Option] key during the boot process. Alternatively you could use Parallels or VMWare but you'd have to pay for those. The advantage is that you are running Windows as a virtual machine on the Mac desktop.

I feel for you, Tez205. I'm running on a dual boot LinuxMint 18 / Windows 7 system and really wishing there was a port of Wilbur for Linux. Rather than frustrating myself with trying to work out how to setup WiNE to run Windows on the Linux desktop, I'm thinking I'll just end up booting over to Windows to do what I need in Wilbur and then reboot back to Linux.

Blog Entries

One for Waldronate: I thought it was about time I looked at Wilbur and tried to get a copy on my linux box and run it under wine. But the download is an installer app. So I could install it on my windows box and see if I could take the main app exe. Is it easy enough to have a zip of the files needed to run it for linux users ? Is the MS Redistributable a single DLL or another installer ? Going to the MS page you have linked says "We're sorry, this download is no longer available.". I'll have a go on my windows box later on this eve and see if I can run it under Wine.

I am guessing that I linked to an intermediate version. Microsoft used to be pretty good about updating links on redistributables when they updated the package, but it looks like they missed this one. https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/down....aspx?id=53587 should work. Note that I haven't tried it. I will try to remember to update the link and possibly rebuild Wilbur with the newest update. Maybe I'll include a zip of the exe as well.

Blog Entries

That would be cool - Thx Waldronate. I'll give it a whirl on linux under Wine and see how far I get with it. Someone else will have to try a Mac version tho !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast