Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fragged Kingdom: Akharon and Catlan.

I don't know about any advice, it's pretty awesome.

There are other people here who would surely know better than me, but I would think that in an ideal world you should create dedicated maps suitable to the size you are printing instead of just shrinking the big ones to fit. It may work though because of the style you are using.

Falconius may have a point on the size thing - unless you know the client wants a large poster version too, why waste time refining fine details no-one is going to see? A highly detailed map won't look too good when printed in small size. Then again, as I understand you've been at this for a while, so I should think you know what you're doing.

The one thing I can think is either adding a stroke to the thinner rivers as well, make them black in color or just widen them and then give them a stroke. Right now it looks a little odd when you have two types of rivers on the map for no reason, so anything that would make them be more uniform with the other rivers and the coastline would be an improvement.

Maybe expand the shading onto the snow on the mountain peaks as well? Right now you have shadows and then snow on top of them, and unless I'm terribly misunderstanding my physics that ain't how it works

Nitpicking aside, I really like how this is looking so far!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Cool! Really love your style, and I don't have any suggestion since it looks perfect to me, is it finished?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Wade Dyer's Avatar

I'm playing around with adding titles to the main map. I tried scrolls, but they made the image too busy... does anybody have a good suggestion fro a simple and clean label graphic?

Arcane-Bay.jpg

I'm also playing around with doing a hypothetical future map for the area where there are lots of cities and towns. In this map the people of Pol's Rest have split into 2 warring kingdoms and barbarian tribes have claimed the southern land.

3_Kings.jpg

Edit: I slightly updated the images (I forgot to add some textures).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wade Dyer; 01-06-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    -------------
    Fragged Empire RPG.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is so eye-catching I just spent about 10 minutes poring over all the detail. The way you've done your text within those 'lozenge labels' looks fantastic; I may have to steal that idea. I think my only nitpick is that the font you've used for some of your text, like the Archdruid Woods and Arcane Bay, seems to clash too much stylistically with the rest of the map. But overall, I love this.

I agree with Diamond on all points - fantastic little details make this a pleasure to look at I really like the present and future shift, too.

I have 2 questions:
    -- what's the object in the sea to the left of Haven Citadel?
    -- is there a legend explaining the different emblems above each city picture?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    I agree with Diamond on all points - fantastic little details make this a pleasure to look at I really like the present and future shift, too.

I have 2 questions:
    -- what's the object in the sea to the left of Haven Citadel?
    -- is there a legend explaining the different emblems above each city picture?

Wingshaw
    There is a legend in the book that explains what many of the icons and noble houses are (ie: each shield gets at least a half page of text talking about the associated family house).

That icon to the left of the Haven Citadel (the same icons can be seen in the Archdruid Woods) shows that Druids are in that area. Those ones to the left of the Citadel live in the ocean.
    -------------
    Fragged Empire RPG.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Excellent maps! I send you some rep, this is very well made and I like the styles of all the details.

Just playing around with more Fragged Kingdom map and page layout ideas... I think this one needs more 'stuff'. I might have an artist draw up some coins and a mug of ale, so it looks like this map is sitting on a tavern bench being poured over by some adventurers. I also need to name all of those small towns, rivers and mountains

(Sorry, low res image for now. Once I put more work into this I will upload a high res image).

FK_Inner_Map.jpg
    -------------
    Fragged Empire RPG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12