Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ocean Current Guidance

Quote Originally Posted by AEB View Post
    My info maybe out of date but I thought that the Atlantic currents were driven in part as the result of salinity differences, with the influx of fresh water making a fast surface current flowing across a deeper, more saline water from ice formation that flows back the other way as a far deeper current?

This is why the potential melting of the Greenland ice shelf has the potential to divert or stall the Gulf Stream with major consequences for the European climate.
    That might partially be the case, but the Gulf Stream would exist even if there were no major rivers flowing into it (and I'm not sure how much effect the salinity differences have, even the flows of the Mississippi and Amazon are fairly minor compared to the masses of water transported by the Gulf Stream). As an example, I doubt there are any major rivers powering the southern hemisphere equivalent in the Pacific, the East Australian Current (a warm current affecting the eastern coast of Australia).
    Last edited by Charerg; 12-16-2018 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Added quote

Guild Member Facebook Connected woodb3kmaster's Avatar

I suspect that AEB is thinking of the global thermohaline circulation, in which changes in salinity are caused mainly by evaporation and freezing/melting of sea ice. Evaporation is also why the Mediterranean is saltier than the global average, though in this case the evaporation has a different cause (namely evaporation due to heating, as opposed to the wind-driven evaporation in the North Atlantic).

At first glance, I don't see any issues with the OP's currents, but I'll defer to more knowledgeable members on that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The trouble is that publicity is awfully difficult to make into a stew without a great deal of marinating, and I've never managed to pay a water bill with it
    "Your utilities bill for this month is £37"
    "But look, there's a book on Amazon with my name in the credits!"
    "That'll be £37 please."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12