Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And yet the desert spreads ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Man, you're brave and talented, if you ask me. I especially like the seas and desert on this one .
    If I may, I think some curves or more random placement for the grass could improve the map and give a more accurate sense of topography.
    Not that much but I like to play with my toys but thanks nonetheless, Julien. The grasslands are, indeed, off due to their lack of randomness. I should have added some hills to balance the repeating tuff sign.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanCR View Post
    Beautiful, and those valleys with the winding rivers and woods are lovely. I want to go there.
    Thanks a lot Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    I think this looks stunning! I can understand what you're saying about the thick strokes bothering you because it would bother me a lot too. The end result is still really great, as a whole when I look at the map it's fantastic I only notice those thick strokes when I zoom in.
    Thanks a lot Domino

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I made some comments on Twitter, Thomas, but I will have to expand them a little here now that you're done! I actually really like the thick and varying-pressure lines. There's something cool about seeing little details evoked with chunky thick lines. You got some wonderful variations in textures across all the different lands. The whole thing has a whimsical feel to it.

About the only thing I would rather see differently is the cliffs to the southeast. The style just doesn't quite seem to gel with the rest of it.

Overall, really nice! It's funny that even though you struggled with your tools, I really like the result.
    Thanks Joseph, yeah, the cliffs do not work but I guess I had a problem of scale from the beginning with this one or maybe a problem of scale vs. tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I really enjoy this mountain style! And I like the minimalist forest treatment, they look great hugging the aforementioned mountains. The strokes on the coastlines look maybe a little too large and widely spread for my taste, but it's not anything major. I think the whole piece works well in small size.

But seriously, death to Windlass. Kill it with fire and let it burn.
    a
    Thanks Kell About the coastal details, I had trouble gauging the pressure (it's the problem when you use this tool on several sessions, you need to rehandle it). I'd love to hear where your hatred for this font comes from. I used it by default as I had nothing that carried the sternness-not classic typo combo I was after.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oooh, I really love this one ! Cluttered just for my taste but still readable, lovely mountains, great sea... but if I may, I'm longing for some maps in your own style. Let us see what's in your mind, Thomas !
    Thanks Bee I think you can spot a few maps in my style (if I have one) in my previous posts. I don't consider myself an artist and take inspiration from many people but there is a quote I love from author Dan Fante. I do not remember it well but here's the spirit : Write like the author you love and you'll end up writing like you. I think the same is true for drawing. At first, you just try and copy what you love but with time, you end up developing something that is only you. I think I have many styles, each one having many influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    True, but I'd also say that you have developed a style now that is entirely your own and it looks fantastic!

Wingshaw
    Thanks a lot George, I sure try to find my way

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    So very true!
    Hehe, thanks Julien

Quote Originally Posted by ManiLea View Post
    I like the style – it reminds me of a classic book illustration. I was confused about where the desert was at first but now I see that the arrow is on top of it.
    I'm glad you feel that way I'm not happy with that arrow and with the desert but I do not master the brush enough to do better at that scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Really nice map Thomas
    Thanks a bunch Bogie

Nicely done Thomas. Your progress in map making are growing more and more, congrats. Waiting for your next realisation.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Nicely done Thomas. Your progress in map making are growing more and more, congrats. Waiting for your next realisation.
    Cheers.
    Merci beaucoup Warlin et désolé pour ce honteux retard dans ma réponse ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12