Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And yet another return...sort of...

hey Mark! I've missed talking to you! You always put a smile on my face!

No, a few years back I started a tradition of hand making Christmas gifts for my family and friends, mostly crochet, or loom knitting. That takes a lot of time, especially with my carpal tunnel. I was doing this even when I started mapping, but for a while mapping took over, and I didn't get my gifts made on time. So I'm having to better schedule things now. So at about August, I 'put away' the mapping, to get my Christmas gifts made, then after the holidays, I take my mapping stuff back out again.

What I'm actually doing is putting more hours into crafting, and less into mapping... I don't actually stop mapping. I just can't give it the time I used to during crafting season. On top of that, I'm trying to start a side business, selling crochet patterns of my own creation... but that means I have to come up with the patterns, and make the items, then write up the pattern, get it edited and tested, before publishing it. I currently have two patterns published, with more on the way.

And then, right after the holidays... I go to the emergency room for something seemingly minor (though extremely painful), and get admitted immediately for emergency surgery! I was only in the hospital two days, but it took me almost a week and a half before I could even get out of bed for more than the most urgent necessities. Talk about a frustrating beginning to 2019!

But I am, finally, beginning to heal. Hopefully that means more mapping in my future. I am currently working on a world map that started in FT, and of course, I just joined the Feb Mapping Challenge. I'm just waiting to hear back from my partner to see what my challenge is. And I still have a commissioned city map that I'm working on, too. So... yes, mapping when I can for as long as I can sit to do so, until I heal completely.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Glad you're back and on the mend, ladie!

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    a few years back I started a tradition of hand making Christmas gifts for my family and friends, mostly crochet, or loom knitting. <SNIP> So at about August, I 'put away' the mapping, to get my Christmas gifts made, then after the holidays, I take my mapping stuff back out again.

What I'm actually doing is putting more hours into crafting, and less into mapping... I don't actually stop mapping. <SNIP>
    I'll betcha dollars to donuts* that everyone here is happy for ya, that you've got a lot of good irons in your fire. Just remember to make us a map now and then too. And the best of luck on your new business venture!

But first and foremost, get yourself healthy again!

* Anyone remember that oldie? It's even older than I am. To get there, you have to make the trip from crypt dweller to composty!

Servus,
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Dollars to doughnuts... oh wow, that brings back memories! My Granddaddy used to use that phrase! And I promise... I will make a map every now and then I have a couple of things in the works even as we speak. It's just slow going because of the sitting down at the computer issues...
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Welcome back. May Asclepius speed your healing.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    No, a few years back I started a tradition of hand making Christmas gifts for my family and friends, mostly crochet, or loom knitting. That takes a lot of time, especially with my carpal tunnel. I was doing this even when I started mapping, but for a while mapping took over, and I didn't get my gifts made on time. So I'm having to better schedule things now. So at about August, I 'put away' the mapping, to get my Christmas gifts made, then after the holidays, I take my mapping stuff back out again.
    Have you ever crocheted a map?

no, I've never crocheted a map... I don't think I would be capable... or more, I'm capable on the crochet part... just not sure I would be able to design and crochet a map... but it's an interesting idea!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12